Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate this time of year :(

Post Thanks / Like
    The tortoises are on their 2nd day of wind-down for hibernation :( Their little faces are pleading for food!! LOL
    The little torts won't be winding down till december as they don't take as long to empty themselves of food.

I hate winter :(
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought of torts wanting food like that nearing hibernation.:( I just thought it was a natural process or something. Oh, I would hate it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohtle, post: 66311
    I never thought of torts wanting food like that nearing hibernation.:( I just thought it was a natural process or something. Oh, I would hate it too.
    It's a natural proccess, They've been slowing down naturally (Tommy has the strongest instinct out of them all) but they come charging upto you when you go in their shed through Habit I think. It's just me being daft! :p

I do feel sorry for them though
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awe.......Feed me, feed me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why can't you feed them Josh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 66324
    i'd be interested to know that too please

Post Thanks / Like
    Surely they need food don't they to hibernate?... I know nothing about tortoises. Isn't it abit like giving them a good ol' roast dinner then letting them snoozle it off on the sofa then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 66324
    They need their stomachs to be completely empty before hibernating, anything left over will rot and kill the poor tortoise :(

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 66346
    Surely they need food don't they to hibernate?... I know nothing about tortoises. Isn't it abit like giving them a good ol' roast dinner then letting them snoozle it off on the sofa then?
    No no no no no :tongue0011-1: It's the exact opposite. :p015: The reason that they hibernate is because in the wild, the temperatures drop, and their food dies off too. Being cold blooded, they need warmth to be able to digest their food, and because the temperature drops so low, they stop eating and bury down to sleep, to conserve energy basically.

It's a natural thing that they do and if you do it wrong, that is, not starving them for long enough, they will become seriously ill or die. They need to be at temperatures between 3-7 degrees to hibernate, which is why mine go in their drinks fridge
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 66321
    Awe.......Feed me, feed me!
    :tongue0011-1:
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast