Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go...

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a limiting aspect of "anyone can be president." Anyone wealthy enough to launch a campaign...

Don't think of it as bribery, think of it as positive reinforcement. :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morning all - it's exciting to read through all your stories!

It is compulsory to vote in Australia, which is kinda strange - but really if you didn't want to vote, the fine is pretty nominal. Still it's an incentive to get off your .... and go to the polling place.

I would vote anyway - as others have said; it's too precious a right to take for granted.

I will be eagerly watching what happens today!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Monday night football game last night and didn't get home until 2:15 this AM. Alas my Redskins lost. I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks so I asked Donna if she wanted to go to the polls before she went to work. They opened at 6. We vote at a local school (They are closed for the day) and arrived about 5:15. The line was already half way around the school. Donna ended up being an hour late for work but our bosses told her not to worry about it. Our carpooler and his wife are in Las Vegas celebrating their anniversary. They voted at the Division of Motor Vehicles office last Saturday and they said they waited in line for almost 5 hours.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 69401
    I am excited for you all and wish i could vote, especially with the free food to be hadall joking aside i think it's a bit sad that people have to be bribed to vote. I agree with Tink, you could argue that all politicians are no good and that it's about picking the lesser of 2 evils. People have sacrificed a lot for us to live in a democratic society that entitles us to vote and i feel that it is an active citizens duty imo.

I truly hope that this is the start of a new era and we can work together to make the world a better place (corny i know:rolleyes008:) My only sadness about the campaigns is the obscene amount of money that has been spent on it, imagine the good that could be done with a fraction of it.
    I don't think the freebies should be considered a bribe. It is smart business for the company. You most likely will buy something to go with your free offering. It is sort of like icing on the cake. This election would draw a great populace regardless. There has been so so soo much polarizing by popular radio talk show hosts (re: Limbaugh, Bortz, Hannity, Savage, OReilley and the like) that in my opinion, we may never get back to a civil tone, that we may disagree without being disagreeable. What gets me is that most of their loyal listeners (and they are devout!) take them as their main source of news....it's not news folks it is opinion...

anyhoo BC...it is a shame that we spend so much you are right, but it is like that book The Art of War..it is not just necessary to defeat your opponent, you must crush and destroy all hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 69420
    They opened at 6. We vote at a local school (They are closed for the day) and arrived about 5:15. The line was already half way around the school. Donna ended up being an hour late for work but our bosses told her not to worry about it. Our carpooler and his wife are in Las Vegas celebrating their anniversary. They voted at the Division of Motor Vehicles office last Saturday and they said they waited in line for almost 5 hours.
    WOW! FIVE HOURS!!! That's INCREDIBLE!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to go out this afternoon. There is a Krispy Kreme and a Starbucks right by the office. Oh my goodness you would not beleive the lines to get into both places!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 69453
    I had to go out this afternoon. There is a Krispy Kreme and a Starbucks right by the office. Oh my goodness you would not beleive the lines to get into both places!
    were they full of cops?

Post Thanks / Like
    My coworker just did a Starbuck's run. He was given his and my black coffee. The other two frou frou ones he had to pay for. Cool.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    ;) I didn't see any. I saw that Starbucks was full. The drive through line around Krispy Kreme was blocking traffic. They aren't even offering a good donut!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 69308
    A woman that is working with my team today did not vote. I'm so unimpressed. :(

I'd heard on the news that there were many places giving specials to those folks who voted. Kinda nice. Positive reinforcement is a pretty effective means to continue the targeted behavior. :D

It is cloudy, windy and cool here in SC. Earlier it was nicer, but it's now getting icky. The news reports had long lines at the opening of the polls (7 am usually).

GrammiePo there is no right or wrong vote. There is only rightly voting, or wrongly not!

It feels like it's going to be a long day.
    In agreement here, voteing is the right thing to do.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast