Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can spend hours and hours in a library or a book store. One of the things I miss the most are the indie bookstores. There are so very few left.

One of my all time favorites was My Sisters Words. It closed a few years ago. :(

Orlando had one downtown, but I've not been there in awhile so I don't know if it's still open. It wasn't very good.

A dream? To own a bookstore that sells fabulous cookies, decadent hot cocoa and the single best cup of coffee a person can buy. Tea and scones too. :D :D

One very dangerous aspect for me (in a bookstore) is that the cost of the books simply don't register. I don't consider it spending money and have really gone overboard before. I have to set a strict limit on myself when I go into those places. It's like an addiction, eh?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It IS an addiction. I love used bookstores for that very reason. At least I can fuel my addiction just a bit cheaper.

I often joke that I must have been illiterate in a past life and that is why I have such a need to read and learn now.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh, old books? LOOK OUT! I'm forever finding something I just HAVE to have.

When I was a kid I found a set (hardcover) Pollyanna, and Pollyanna Grows Up, in my grandparents storeroom. I loved those books. I don't know whatever happened to them, but I know if I ever run across them again, I'll be paying whatever the asking price is.

I did find an ollllllld childhood favorite at a yardsale a couple of years ago. Snapped it right up! :D Beautiful Joe.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a book I remember from 4th grade...it was actually in the Weekly Reader to buy for maybe $1.00. I didn't order it because I really didn't think I'd like it much. The teacher read it out loud to the class and I absolutely LOVED it! I used to borrow it from her collection every few weeks just to re-read it. It is now out of print and nearly impossible to find. When it's on ebay or on half.com the cheapest I've seen it is $135!
    It's called The Ghost in the Swing by Janet Patton Smith. I want that book sooooo badly.

"Always take a banana to a party." :banana1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Maybe you should check some estate and yard sales, especially of former teachers :p015:

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't that the way? Something you really want is impossible to find, or so costly it might as well be. :sigh;

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you guys seen the Kindle? I just got one and I love it- it holds 200 books. I am always reading 2-3 books at a time so this is great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of the kindle but don't know a whole lot about it. How does it work? Does it read the books to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, what is it exactly?

Post Thanks / Like
    No it is like an electronic book. It is about the size of a VCR tape and the screen is easy to read- not backlighted like a computer- you can change the font and size to your comfort level.

You then download a book in under 10 seconds and read away- it saves your place and you can also read blogs, magazines, and newspapers. It is amazing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast