Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Political views in your family

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true, that is a gift. Think it should be that way. Kids have to work it out for themselves. My DD Alex was up in the air about Obama. One of her best friends was a total McCain fan. He took the loss hard.

When I was having a "discussion" with all my friends while sitting around the Peaks of Otter, she was upset with the tone, and felt sad that we were in such disagreement. I always feel like I have to defend my positions to them as they can be a bit snarky. She loves to come to my defense and wanted to get involved but backed away.

Post Thanks / Like
    My parents were FDR Democrats. Not because they followed the party line, but because FDR worked to pull the US out of the depression. My mother was in high school when the stock market crashed in 1929 and she never forgot it--or the very lean times that followed it. They were ultra conservative in many ways, quite liberal in others. They were registered Democrats because the primaries where we lived were closed--open only to party members. Otherwise, I'm sure they would have been Independents!

I'm a registered Independent and tend to be very moderate. I like to consider what/who does the best for the most people on various issues while maintaining--or doing the least harm to--the budget. Sometimes I lean toward liberal views, others conservative.

Have absolutely no idea what my grandparents party affiliations were. All were naturalilzed citizens and proud that they could vote--and did!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is cool Taja. My grandparents on my dad's side were immigrants from the Ukrane/Austria border. Dad being first generation. My mom's family arrived I guess near 1870 with the potato famine in Ireland. We are a nation of immigrants, wish we could still remember that.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are indeed. People seem to forget :(

My dad's mother and father came to the US in 1921 from Greece. Our last name was much longer but they chopped it in half.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234