Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photographing parades

Post Thanks / Like
    so the boy is in a rememberance day parade on sunday and i want to get some good shots of him. What kind of setting should i have it on? The perfectionist side of me wants a nice candid head shot of him with the background blurred out but they will obviously be moving so do i really need to have it on shutter priority. any idea of what settings i should have it on?

i'm thinking i should use my 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 lens as i don't want to be intrusive lol.

any tips gratefully recieved:p015:

Post Thanks / Like
    depends how far away from the boy you are julie, with the 70-30 when zoom full out you are still pretty close
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 70371
    so the boy is in a rememberance day parade on sunday and i want to get some good shots of him. What kind of setting should i have it on? The perfectionist side of me wants a nice candid head shot of him with the background blurred out but they will obviously be moving so do i really need to have it on shutter priority. any idea of what settings i should have it on?

i'm thinking i should use my 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 lens as i don't want to be intrusive lol.

I was surprised to see you ask this lol, ALL of the photo's I've seen of yours are excellent!!!! Sure they'll be great again! :p015:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 70371

Well a few ideas spring to mind I guess

If you want a really sharp shot and they're moving then yep, you'll need to think about your shutter speed as being most important. So Shutter speed priority, pretty fast and then play with your ISO/aperture to get the effect you want.

You could try a pan shot as well as he goes past? keep shutter open a bit longer and pan gently as they move past. If done correctly, and it takes practice, you can get a lovely sharp shot with motion blur behind. It's different to just out of focus blur and will give the impression of movement which is more appropriate for a parade
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 70600
    Well a few ideas spring to mind I guess

If you want a really sharp shot and they're moving then yep, you'll need to think about your shutter speed as being most important. So Shutter speed priority, pretty fast and then play with your ISO/aperture to get the effect you want.

You could try a pan shot as well as he goes past? keep shutter open a bit longer and pan gently as they move past. If done correctly, and it takes practice, you can get a lovely sharp shot with motion blur behind. It's different to just out of focus blur and will give the impression of movement which is more appropriate for a parade
    thats exactly where some of my parade shots went wonky keith

is it a possibilty for you or your mate who comes on, forget his name now to maybe do a masterclass on photography for different types/times of day shots etc?
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 70607
    thats exactly where some of my parade shots went wonky keith

is it a possibilty for you or your mate who comes on, forget his name now to maybe do a masterclass on photography for different types/times of day shots etc?
    we can sure try

Post Thanks / Like
    heres one example of a blurred shot at the lion king show, i think a tripod was needed firstly then setup crucial for a good shot

Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    and a clear one, why its clear i have no idea, settings were the same, maybe less camera movement i dont really know

Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually both shots show that you did WELL holding the camera and that the blurriness in the first shot is MAINLY from subject movement not camera shake although theres a bit in there for sure)

You needed to up the iso to the max and have a faster shutter speed even to the point of underexposing a little since you could always bring it back later in photoshop.

A tripod makes it easy to reduce CAMERA shake yep, but even a tripod wont help you when the subject is moving around ;) at that stage it's a faster shutter speed you need

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant shot Nutty, I love the motion trail things on the birds flying around make it really good.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast