Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question

Post Thanks / Like
    You are the headmistress of a school that needs to appoint a learning support assistant. You place an advert stating that applicants must have an NVQ qualification.

Now you get an application from someone who does not have an NVQ. They have 6 credits from a course that could be used toward an NVQ. They have a 1st class honors degree. They have about 60 hours of unpaid classroom time in your school and have done lots of other little jobs around the school.

But no NVQ.

How seriously would you take this application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially I would think with the degree that you were over qualified but with the unpaid hours and odd jobs around the school I can't see why the application isn't as good, if not better than the rest

Post Thanks / Like
    i would say that your honours degree exceeded the level of the NVQ in educational terms but if I had to shortlist 30 candidates and others had the relevant NVQ then i would probably not select the degree candidate for interview. Unless they had loads of experience etc. It all depends how many applications they have and how strict the criteria for shortlisting. I would say apply for it Dawn, you have nothing to lose and if you get to interview you'll have it nailed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 71612
    I would say apply for it Dawn, you have nothing to lose and if you get to interview you'll have it nailed.
    And if nothing else the interview experience in this field will be invaluable

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, a help wanted ad is a wish list of all the things they want in an applicant. Most times it is flexible unless there is some sort of licensing issue.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    with a local authority they will have a list of essential and desirable qualifications/experience. They will often discard any applications that don't meet the essential criteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know whether to bother. Yep it's for a job at Steven's school but it's only temporary for one term. I know they will have a stack of applications for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 71633
    I don't know whether to bother. Yep it's for a job at Steven's school but it's only temporary for one term. I know they will have a stack of applications for it.
    Maybe not that many. Only temporary for one term will put alot of people off. Go for it Dawn. You have nothing to lose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 71633
    go for it Dawn, our local authority applicaation forms can be saved so if you do it this time then you will be able to adapt it for the next one

Post Thanks / Like
    you know the headteacher Dawn, why not ask whether it's worth you applying

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast