Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever researched their family tree?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to do some research into our family tree in the new year but really no idea where to get started. Has anyone ever tried?

Post Thanks / Like
    My folks have done it and have gotten back as far as the late 17th centuary so far, they used a variety of aids including online references and parish records.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have and it has become a great hobby. My mom's to 16 hundreds, my dad's not so far only to 17's Indrian trouble. My ex husband's because of my children to the 16 hundreds and England. have a coat of arms and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dh and I just signed up at geni.com and it is a wonderful site!!! You put in the people you know (mom, dad, grandparents etc.) and then you invite more family by email and they imput the people they know and the site makes up your family tree for you! It really is amazing. I think we are up to over 200 people in just a few weeks. When you get down to cousins putting in their wife/husband it really branches out. That might be something to get you started. :p015:

Post Thanks / Like
    On my maternal side, we're Hatfield on my maternal grandfather's side. We're written about A LOT. we're Miller on my maternal grandmother's side. One of my cousins has written a book about us. It's pretty cool. Alysia is mad since she is not mentioned in it. The book was published in 1989. She wasn't yet thought of.

On my dad's side,we know practically nothing. My grandparents came from Greece. Our last name was chopped in half. It is Angell now but was ...well there lies the problem. I can phonetically say it but we have no idea how to spell it. I'd like to know more about them but both grandparents are dead. My dad's eldest brother (or sister depending on whom you ask) wouldn't share any of the family effects with the others. She is now dead so we're at a dead end that way.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gavin's mam and dad have done, their back maybe to the early 1800's. They use all sorts of internet sites but they seem to have more luck once they find someone living and make contact with them for more info.

Next year they are going to Australia and after it was booked they discovered a second cousin, or something like that, living there and are now visiting them for a couple of nights!

Thay did laugh when the cousin said he was in London in a few weeks and would they like the meet for coffee, just the 500 mile round trip then!

Post Thanks / Like
    i wanted to do it but i have decided to do it when im older then i'll understand it a bit more.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been researching mine for about 14 years now.

I am back to the 1500s on some Dutch lines but on my DH's paternal line I can't even get out of New Zealand - HUGHES is such a popular name! :(

goofygal a good start is to get a program to input all the information you already know and all the information you're going to collect.

I use Legacy and I really like it - you can download a standard version for free from http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp

What part of the world are your ancestors from and how much do you already know and I'll see what I can suggest for resources!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    i wouldnt know where to start to find out
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 72338
    i wouldnt know where to start to find out
    I wouldn't either Mick. I so want to give it a go though. The last couple of months Mam was here, she started helping me with what she could but, I can only go back to the start of 1900's and all of the info on that I don't have. I only have names and rough ideas.
    Unfortunately, there is no one left of the generation above me in our family to help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast