Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London..

Post Thanks / Like
    ok being a wee highland lass i dont know much about the big city! am planning a wee trip down there the first week in Dec. Hopefully will be there for 3 nights (mon-thurs) before reality sets in and have to go back to work! I have a major passion for musical theatre (yup im a geek lol) i have been lucky enough to see Phantom and Dirty Dancing down there before.

So what would you recomend for a few days?? I would love to see at least 1 show (maybe Wicked?? anyone seen it??) and do the usual tourist thing.

Any hints and tips welcomed!

Oh will be flying into Gatwick, then getting the gatwick express into Victoria :)

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be cold, wet and miserable.

Well check the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square for tickets for same-night performances. Just luck as to what shows they have tickets for but they usually have something decent.

Oxford Street and Regents Street for christmas lights.

The usual tourist things would be the London Eye though to be honest in December you're not likely to have the clear skies to see all the way across the city. There's tons of museums depending what you are into. Stroll around Covent Garden. Harrods just to look.

What do you like apart from theatre?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    It'll be cold, wet and miserable
    Except the year I went dressed in a thick sweater and coat....it was warm and sunny.... :rolleyes008:

This website has lots of useful hints and info:

http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/londo...tials_main.htm
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a city i have never really spent any great length of time in. i was down for a night last week and we just did the usual tourist things! big ben...westminster abby...london eye, saw them setting up for the rememberance parade!

Evenings and nights are pretty much taken care off but i will have some time to myself through the day when the other half is at work! so looking for some things to do then...anything interests me really, esp people watching lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Covent Garden is the place for people watching then.

The zoo is nice. V & A museum will keep you busy for weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can`t go far wrong with any of the West End shows Karrie, my DW and I have seen loads of them...I guess that we must be "geeks" also.
    Billy Eliot, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, We Will Rock You, Tonight`s the Night and Buddy have been our favourites, although my whole time favourite is "Phantom" which I`ve seen 3 times!
    We also have tickets for Oliver in Jan. which we are both looking forward to seeing.

A great reasonably priced restaurant for dinner is "Salieri`s" in the Strand...right opposite the entrance to the Savoy. :thumbs_up:

Post Thanks / Like
    Look on lastminute.com as they have some great theatre deals. Covent Garden is great, Oxford street for shopping. Selfridges should have their windows up. Big Disney and Apple store along Regents street. Also Hamleys along there to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god I forgot about Selfridges Christmas windows. They are a must see.

Post Thanks / Like
    WICKED WICKED WICKED WICKED

we're going to see it for the 2nd time on dec 20th!! can't wait it's fabulous!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 72639
    WICKED WICKED WICKED WICKED

we're going to see it for the 2nd time on dec 20th!! can't wait it's fabulous!!
    Who played Elphaba when you saw Wicked Brit? Poppy loves Idina Menzel.

Karrie, I'm in London on the 13th Dec for Christmas shopping and we're hoping to have afternoon tea at Laduree at Harrods. Have you considered doing the whole afternoon tea thing?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast