Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November 15, 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    And now I'll let the signs talk, the t-shirts, the people who are pouring in from all areas of the city.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll see some signs have a touch of humor...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The first sign in this series features the lambda, one of the most enduring gay semiotics...

Post Thanks / Like
    one word just gets repeated, Equality.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't imagine how proud I am right now to be able to call you my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's important to know that Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is a supporter of equal rights for all Floridians, Orlando citizens in particular, of course. He lead his Council to unanimously approve domestic partnership rights for all city employees. It remains to be seen if Amendment 2 will undo that decision. Also, Patty Sheehan, a Councilwoman who is also a lesbian was present and spoke to the gathering. She was angry, she was hard hitting, she was incredible. She was a wonderful example of what an elected official should be...representative of the people and not worried about getting re-elected. She wore a t-shirt that said, "I have issues." :D We loved it.

The photo above with the clerics, that shows a dark haired priest on the right of the shot... he was the RC priest who gave the closing blessing. He told us he left Cuba for freedom and he was/had (wasn't really clear on if he had or was about to) left the RC church because he was Gay and wanted true freedom... He reminded us that G-d created each of us and as G-d makes no mistakes we were perfect in our being. For those who accept the presence of G-d, that was a very powerful moment. The audience erupted.

There were no real challenges from the "right." We were on the front steps of City Hall facing the presentation area, so had the majority of the gathering to our backs, and could only see a sea of faces. At one point early on, a speaker commented on "those people across the street who hate us..." I turned but could see no one. Shortly thereafter, sounds of chanting, horn blowing and the like drifted in from the street corner. Groups of younger people in our gathering went to each of the four corners and began their civil protest... the "right" left.

As we walked back to our car, Herself reminded me that she had stated early on in this devastation, that it was only the beginning. That the losses would spur a huge eruption in outrage, in decent people coming together to say, "NO MORE." She was (as always :sigh; ) correct. :D

Again my Gentle People, thank you for caring enough to be there with us. It is a significant moment in history, and I know not where or how it will end. I only know that if the whole world (or at least the USA) were filled with people like you, we'd all be equals, sharing the same rights and priviledges as everyone else. You are the best.

Please allow me to thank Keith, for his outstanding courage in supporting me - always- without him, I'd not be sharing with you today. And those of you who recognized that ol' Tink was off her pixie dust (Becca, and Skywatcher, Wendy, and Siobhan deserve special thanks because without them, I'd still be wallowing in useless anger) please accept my heartfelt gratitude for caring enough to reach out. To each one of you who have made it perfectly clear that you support the belief that we are all equal under the sun, who gave your names, who sent messages, who simply thought "good thoughts," you are the people we need to continue along this difficult but worthy road that will lead to one less area of discrimination in this world we call ours.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Britchick, that's the point, isn't it? It's not about sex (you'll allow me to be a bit frank)? There is more to a union between two people than what goes on between them in the bedroom. It's about each person being as worthy of all the protections afforded under the law. Period.

Dawn. As always, you take my breath away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Herself has just told me that there was a new clip just aired.... she was on camera with her sign! :D :D "NO MORE!" :D :D

I didn't see it. I was here talking with you! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh I can say I've met a TV Star! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    AS I've told you before, I am very, very proud of you. You ROCK!!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast