1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

4th July

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by mikelufc, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

Hi. My family and I have booked to go to Orlando from Northern Ireland this June for 12 days. Our holiday puts us there over the 4th July and I was wondering if anyone would advise to go to a Park on this day or stay at the hotel on idrive?

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Welcome!!! It will no doubt be crowded on that day, but I think if it were me, I would still go and just plan accordingly! Make best use of fast passes, perhaps book an ADR for a meal midday (a chance to cool off and recharge), and just enjoy the day!

mikelufc likes this.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It is going to be VERY busy, not only on the holiday itself, but on the days leading up to it and immediately after. Definitely go to a park, but choose carefully and go early. July 4th is the second biggest day for the MK (and sometimes the other parks) to close due to capacity. The parks will be open longer on those days (with the exception of AK, unless something changes) but if WDW follows suit, there will be two fireworks shows at MK and EPCOT so you can leave earlier than midnight or thereabouts.

It's a great holiday to be in the US, but I would say that, wouldn't I? :D

Welcome to Secrets!

mikelufc likes this.
  4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Welcome to Secrets! I would also suggest you prepare for the totally non Irish weather that you will experience. I assume it will be really crowded (never been to WDW in the summer) but it has to be much hotter than Virginia in July and that is saying something.

mikelufc likes this.
  5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Welcome to the board!

I've never been during the celebrations, my last July trip missed it by a few days. Everyone was telling me how amazing the fireworks were though, so brave the crowds and get to a park!

My advice is to arrive early to do the big attractions, slow down, or take a break midday and then take it fairly slowly in the afternoon - take in the atmosphere, watch as many sit-down shows as you can. Then, enjoy the evening's entertainment.

mikelufc likes this.
  6. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

Thanks for the replies and welcomes. This will be our first trip to Florida so will make the make the most of this Board to help plan the trip.

We leave on the 5th to fly to Philly to stay with family so I'm expecting those last two days to be hectic!!

Booking an ADR is a really good idea and one I will get on to now.

7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Fantastic! Let us know what you decide on!

8. Watchinherskip

Philly? Hey great stop for a famous cheese steak....from Pat's or Geno's in south Philly.

Wendy and Beccaberry like this.
  9. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

Will do!

Beccaberry likes this.
  10. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

We're about 40 minutes outside the city but still plenty of places to get a good cheese steak!! Can't wait now!!!

11. Watchinherskip

Yeah not too far. What town is it near?

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OH geez, yes! 'Skip is so right. It's going to be meltingly hot. Unless you've been in a heavily humid climate before, you are going to be seriously uncomfortable if you don't dress for the heat and humidity (light colored, natural fiber, loose fitting clothes) and have at least a light hat, sunglasses and tons of sunscreen. You will want something for the mosquitos too, because they are out in force in the summer.

If you wear extremely comfortable shoes, and follow the above, you will be pretty good. You'll need to drink, drink, drink, and the water at WDW and in Florida in general tastes pretty bad. You may want to bring little packets of drink powder to add to the water to make it taste better. There is bottled water to purchase, but you can run through some serious money doing that. You may want to purchase a case of it in Publix and carry it in with you. If you freeze them first, that will help keep them cool longer. You'll want rainwear too, ponchos are for sale in the parks. They do a pretty good job of it, but you may want to bring your own gear. Umbrellas are kind of useless because the wind will whip them inside out pretty quickly. On the other hand, I wear glasses so I will struggle with an umbrella because I can't stand rainy glasses. :D

Take many, many breaks. Expect to not have your usual appetite as the heat and humidity will interfere with your wanting to eat.

You are staying offsite, so if you have your own transport, you will have good opportunities to purchase things off property. They will be MUCH less expensive that way, for them most part. (Beer, :D soda, water, personal supplies, ponchos, all that kind of stuff). For the best prices, stay off of I-Drive stores, and those shops immediately around WDW. Just a little way from either location will allow you to purchase the same items for considerably less.

It's so exciting to be going to WDW for the first time!

mikelufc and Beccaberry like this.
  13. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

West Chester

14. mikelufc

mikelufc Earning my ears

Thanks Tink. Some really good suggestions.

We haven't decided on a car or not yet as our hotel does free transfers to WDW. I think we will probably opt for one just to give is that little bit more freedom on when to come and go.

15. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

:secrets3:

We were at WDW on July 4th one year and we made an ADR for dinner at an Epcot rectaurant [in "France" if I recall] and timed it so that we could see Illuminations after dinner.
    The fireworks were particularly spectacular that night and it was a great atmosphere just being there at that time.

Wendy and Beccaberry like this.
  16. Watchinherskip

Oh cool, West Chester is a neat little town. I got to do a seminar at the planetarium at West Chester University a few summers ago. Nice campus. West Chester University was always our main competition for my undergrad school East Stroudsburg. Stinkin' Golden Rams!!!

mikelufc likes this.
  17. susanm

susanm Imagineer

I have been at WDW on July 4th several times (birthday july 6 so where could there be a better place to celebrate) and loved it. the fireworks are amazing ...extra fireworks for the holiday...and big crowds lots of groups... but the plus side is the park is open late so there is lots of extra time to hang out...

mikelufc and Watchinherskip like this.
  18. Watchinherskip

Hi Susan, great to see you around! How are things in NEPA? I got a chance to visit Scranton over the holidays. Always nice to get home. Never went during the summer. Thanksgiving is our most popular time to go although we went a few times on DD's January birthday and once over Easter break. Now that was a crowded time.