Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking about buying a new house in this bad bad economy!

We do own a house now so we'd have to sell. My house is just so small (1000 sq/ft) and only 1 bathroom. We are in a very nice neighborhood on a dead-end street which is lovely. BUT, I get so claustrophobic in winter! Also, we are looking for a better school system for DS or maybe private school. If we moved to a better school system we'd save the tuition money only to put it towards our mortgage.

I'm just so scared to spend money right now!
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bigger question would be, in this bad economy would YOUR house sell??? My aunt has had her house on the market for almost 2 years. It's just good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the same applies over in the US, but on tv this morning they said if you are moving up the property ladder it is a good time to buy.
    Although your house may be worth less now, if you take into account a percentage drop, a larger house will have decreased by more. So you save money.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a GREAT time to buy a house! It is a HORRIBLE time to sell a house.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 75014
    It is a GREAT time to buy a house! It is a HORRIBLE time to sell a house.
    I know! Wish I still lived at home!

I'm thinking we wouldn't have horrible chances at selling our house because it is smaller so it's a good starter home but it's totally updated with a new roof and AC. We just put in all new windows and built a 2 car garage. Plus we are on a dead-end and we have no neighbors behind us as there's a creek. (Gee I'm already talking myself into staying! ) Another good thing is we bought the house from my MIL so we got it cheap and it wouldn't take much for us to make some $$ out of it.

I just don't know. I'm still working p/t after DS was born and I'm nervous if we got into a bigger house I'd have to go back full-time.

Sometimes I wish I were a kid again! (only sometimes though!)
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, the joys of being a kid with no concerns for bills and the like. I wish I had enjoyed that more.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a possibility of renting your current home and buying a new one? Then you could sell when the market begins to increase a bit.

We're one of the hardest hit areas for foreclosures, so it's difficult to sell here. And almost no financing is available, which makes it worse.

I'm in the opposite position of you, Rosie. I want to downsize and can't at the moment. *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like
    my daughter was told not to go into the market yet, and to be honest you will find it hard to get a mortgage now anyway no one is lending money

edit: didnt see you were in the states rosie
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, selling the house will be the trick. :( We've thought of doing the same, and discarded the idea. We don't feel we could sell our current house right now.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 75078
    Ah yes, the joys of being a kid with no concerns for bills and the like. I wish I had enjoyed that more.

Im enjoying it but im not looking forward to graduating into a recession

: /
    Alysia!<3

Travel Plans:
    April7th till April12th Is Spring Break in Florida!
    April22nd till April26th Is Senior Class Trip to Florida!
    June 5th is High School Graduation, Class of '09 : ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast