Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAW

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried this yet, it makes me nervous because you can't see it (unless you shoot with the JPEG too!) anyone tried it? i understand that images are easier to manipulate after the shot than in JPEG. Would you use it all the time or just when you are shooting special shots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 75110
    I haven't tried this yet, it makes me nervous because you can't see it (unless you shoot with the JPEG too!) anyone tried it? i understand that images are easier to manipulate after the shot than in JPEG. Would you use it all the time or just when you are shooting special shots?
    you can see it though! Canon and Nikon both have "codecs" which you add to windows to enable you to see them without doing anything, just like jpegs (mac has it built in)

It doesnt make the shots easier to manipulate, but it does mean that you can pull more out of the image sometimes... so if you've misjudged the lighting or the white balance in the shot, you can usually change those far more extensively than a jpeg would allow.

I'd say.... use it when you think you thing you need the ultimate in quality AND you need a bit more security in case you go wrong AND you have time to process the images.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 75116
    you can see it though! Canon and Nikon both have "codecs" which you add to windows to enable you to see them without doing anything, just like jpegs (mac has it built in)

I didn't realise that, going to have to read up

It doesnt make the shots easier to manipulate, but it does mean that you can pull more out of the image sometimes... so if you've misjudged the lighting or the white balance in the shot, you can usually change those far more extensively than a jpeg would allow.

I'd say.... use it when you think you thing you need the ultimate in quality AND you need a bit more security in case you go wrong AND you have time to process the images.
    like a shoot you're charging for then, wedding that sort of thing.

i have CS2- would the canon or this be better to process images? Just as you finish learning something there is something else to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    And... keep in mind that RAW is lossless unlike JPEG which is lossy.

What this means is that with JPEG, every time you edit a picture and then save it, you lose a little bit of detail. Edit it numerous times and you start losing enough to be significant. RAW on the other hand doesn't lose detail every time you save.

HTH

Tom (of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 75119
    i have CS2- would the canon or this be better to process images? Just as you finish learning something there is something else to learn.
    oh gosh, the discussions on that subject run to many millions of pages and depends who you ask.

Yes CS2 would do fine, the canon utils are fine too and adobe lightroom does a great job as well.. which one you prefer rather depends on personal taste and of course it's the start of the editing process not the end.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks

Just signed up to photography 'boot camp' in May, can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Britchick... are you a windows or a mac?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 75141
    Britchick... are you a windows or a mac?
    stop swearing josh! a windows i'd like to try mac but himself is very traditional and says that we'll have to get new everything so i have been put off.

Post Thanks / Like
    ohh okay. PM sent :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I should use raw for my spac pics but 1 I havent had the guts to use it yet and 2 my hardrive on my laptop isn't that big

but mainly 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast