Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with christmas present

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you buy a 94 year old lady for christmas?

Post Thanks / Like
    blimey that's difficult.

DH Nan is 89 and she loves colouring so she's been given colouring books suitable for adults, you know - not kiddie pictures. I found a lovely fairy one last year that wasn't too intricate. She also loves those velvet pictures that you colour too.

She's in a home now as she has dementia bless her, so I think we're just going to give her some nice flowers and sweeties. Anything decent goes missing 'cos all the oldies seem to help themselves to each other bits and bobs, including clothes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps some really nice biscuits from Marks and Spencer... or some sweets.. you know the fancy sort they have in the nice tins. My nan (although not 94) used to love them when she was still with us, bless her.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We have had problems for years with my mother in law. She is 91 now and in a home, though as sharp as ever. She doesn't like biscuits and can't eat chocolate or sweets. She doesn't wear perfume and has asked not to be given flowers or plants as she can't deal with them!! She doesn't want ornaments or jewellery, and says she doesn't have any room for more photos of her great grandchildren, though she still does get those!!!

As she moans incessantly about money we have ended up giving her some each birthday and Christmas for a while so she can spend it on what she wants - hairdressing, clothes etc. We did give her M&S vouchers for a while as she asked for those, but now can't get out to shop.

When she could eat different things, we made up a nice hamper with some essentials, and some regional specialities and luxuries. She did like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    My grandma is 82. She needs nothing. The things we've been getting for her lately are gift cards to her favorite restaurants and stores.

Is this lady still ambulatory? Does she live in a nursing home?

Spending time with the elderly is another gift that is priceless. You could even make up a coupon book of sorts with things you'll do for her ie: take her to get her hair done, read a book to her, etc.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    We always give my Nana stuff that she needs these days. We give her gift cards for groceries, for the place she gets her hair done, subscription to the local newspaper..things like that. Hope it helps :)

Post Thanks / Like
    How about something like a talking book? Places like Waterstones WHSmiths or Borders have plenty to choose from. A couple of CD's of the classics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is she a relative?

I made photobooks of Steven for his grandparents last year showing his first 5 years of life. They went down a storm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 75748
    Is she a relative?

I made photobooks of Steven for his grandparents last year showing his first 5 years of life. They went down a storm.
    yes she's my Grandma, great idea but i've done it already!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 75707
    My grandma is 82. She needs nothing. The things we've been getting for her lately are gift cards to her favorite restaurants and stores.

Is this lady still ambulatory? Does she live in a nursing home?

Spending time with the elderly is another gift that is priceless. You could even make up a coupon book of sorts with things you'll do for her ie: take her to get her hair done, read a book to her, etc.
    she lives in a third floor flat(apartment) with no lift, and volunteers one day a week in the local hospital shop, she is incredible. The only ill health she has is a little raised blood pressure and she has had her cataracts done.

I wish i could spend more time with her, she lives about 5 hours away so i don't see her very often.

I asked some clients in our service last week and they said a box of chocolates etc, i just feel i want to spoil her, she is incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 75782
    i just feel i want to spoil her, she is incredible.
    2 things I did-
    I bought a lovely soft bedjacket and embroidered Gran's initials on the collar.
    I framed a photo I had taken of one of her favourite places.

I think personal gifts are appreciated.
    [CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast