Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolies have entered administration

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 77388
    I love Woolies. Always have a wander round when I'm near one.

me too, i can spend ages in there - i can't believe it's going to disappear :(

Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 77394
    well i've got 1 needed to buy it out
    oh goody, and i've got the 385 million to pay off the debts!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried that this morning but apparently if you buy Woolies for 1 you then take over having to pay everyone and run the shops. You can't just bag up all the pick and mix and run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 77398
    but unfortunately not the 300M to assume its debts ;)

true!

Post Thanks / Like
    i just think it's so very sad that even an well established store that's almost 100 years old can't withstand this recession..... :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 77408
    i just think it's so very sad that even an well established store that's almost 100 years old can't withstand this recession..... :(
    incredibly poor management catching up with them not just the recession, that was just the final straw.

Anyone remember when you could get EVERYTHING you'd want from woolies and have your passport photos done, and get weighed and and and then overnight they pulled out of loads of lines and ended up with some household items, TONS of kids clothing, pick n mix (yay) and some always really mis-sorted cds.

I had a friend who worked there for a few years and I remember him telling me how many millions they were spending redoing all the major stores. There was some fancy name for "the plan" but I can't remember it. Anyway his store was basically gutted, redone up, I went in after the millions had been spent and thought ERMMMMM it's the same as it was with a few more ceiling lights and less stock.

Classic case of moving away from what they were good at.

MFI is another one in trouble and why? because not content with selling cheap rubbish that was "ok" and sometimes all you needed, they decided to try and become more upmarket. Well sorry but I've never yet heard anyone boast about an exlusive MFI sideboard and I really doubt I ever will. Silly idea
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    They were never the same after they redid the stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    i live in a small town (population circa 16,000) there is a boots, superdrug, clarks, m and co, specsavers and that's about it really on the high street apart from horrible little pound type shops. Where are we going to get stuff that woolies normally sells?

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the years Woolworths lost their identity. It used to be the place to go for music, Ladybird clothes, Chad Valley toys and some good quality homeware. Now I go in and it seems they do a 'value range' covering just about everything you could imagine plus one week they'd stock something or other then the following week, not. Too hit and miss for my liking.

Post Thanks / Like
    gosh yes, my immediate thought was the recession although after reading Keiths comments i think back and remember that our store was that old fashioned type with a haberdashery, diy supplies (and more that I can't remember) upstairs.

A good old 'proper' store, then they lost the upstairs and the stuff they sold up there, and now i remember they 'refurbished' the store a few years back and the layout changed slightly but nothing much else and yes, as Keith said, they lost what they were good at. Such a shame.

And MFI too.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh flip!!

I just remembered i bought a Woolies gift card last week for my step-nephew as part of his Christmas pressie. I'll go and unwrap it and try to spend it in there tomorrow when I'm in town (if it's open)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast