Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am i being cross for no reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Every christmas i either cook my dh family dinner and supper or arrange for us all to go out some were. they just turn up on the day 10 minutes before its due to be served. this year i arranged to go to local hotel (well 30 miles but that counts as local in Cornwall). My in-laws said they were not coming and just staying at home on there own, fair enough i thought. Dh uncle was coming but today canceled as sil has invited him along to hers and he said he agreed since her parents were going (dh parents). My parents booked to but have always been unsure due to nan being unwell, which i understand. Dh said last night he has to work all christmas and is not 100% sure if he will have to work christmas day. So it looks like dd and i will have cheese on toast as it will be to much work to go on my own with her. Why did dh parents lie to me to start with.
    Also dsil and the inlaws have asked us what we want for christmas, i said a surprise as i buy them surprises. Was told if we did not come up with anything then we will not get anything.
    Am i being silly but i am quite cross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear, what a muddle. And no, you're not being silly.
    Why don't you just plan a cosy day at home with DD and cook your favourite foods.

Was told if we did not come up with anything then we will not get anything.
    They really don't understand the spirit of giving, do they. Surprise them, ask for cash. :D
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    You're very polite, Michelle. A little cross? Goodness! I would be very annoyed, to say the least!

And then over it in a few minutes. That's just my personality--I can be quite annoyed with people, but I don't hold a grudge--it's too stressful!

I definitely can understand your viewpoint. You plan and prepare and people don't recognize or appreciate how much time and energy go into it. Even when you elect to dine out, there's always the thought of menus that please everyone.

I don't know that your DH's family weren't truthful about their plans. More likely, just a bit thoughtless. They may have suddenly decided to stay home this year without thinking about arrangements you already have made. Better that they did it now and not at the last minute!

As much as we love being with our family and friends during the holidays, it can be a very stressful time. Occasionally, it's nice to just keep it simple.

Even if your DH is working, you can plan something a bit festive for you and Beth. Not elaborate and a lot of work, just a bit of fun. With an extra plate for your DH if he has to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 77582
    Oh dear, what a muddle. And no, you're not being silly.
    Why don't you just plan a cosy day at home with DD and cook your favourite foods.

They really don't understand the spirit of giving, do they. Surprise them, ask for cash. :D
    I like your idea for a gift request, MP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Michelle...I get where you're comming from on that. To heak with them, plan something just for yourself,DD and DH and poo to the rest of them! I also agree , if they do not have enough imagination to come up with a gift on thier own then tell them money/gift card.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yes Michelle, i'd be fuming actually....but to heck with them, plan a relaxing day at home with Beth and treat yourselves to your favourites foods and treats, plan the tv viewing or movies and just do nothing all day but eat, chill out and enjoy your time together!

Post Thanks / Like
    one word ...................FAMILIES ach i giv up

Post Thanks / Like
    Silly NO if anything thats an understatment i would be spitting feathers; how ungrateful, so after doing everything for them every year, you fancy a year of (and why not) i think they are being totally selfish and in a way a bully (if you wont do it like you usually do i am not comming) do you get what i mean. Also why did your sil not invite you guys as she invited everyone else.
    As for the present, well if they cannot be bothered to put any effort in then shame on them. Sorry rant over.... Dont lower yourslef to their lever still get them nice surprises they will be the ones who look and maybe feel bad.
    Look after your family and do things (watch the tv programms you want to) you cant normally do as you have the family over and enjoy th down time.
    xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou all . I am still so cross and boy do they know it. I am just going to have a nice day and actually enjoy Beth opening her presents. The family normally get to do this with her whilst i am rushing around not this year. I feel drained from it all but dh has promised me a brownie and hot chocolate from Starbucks as he passes it on the way home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 77648
    Thankyou all . I am still so cross and boy do they know it. I am just going to have a nice day and actually enjoy Beth opening her presents. The family normally get to do this with her whilst i am rushing around not this year. I feel drained from it all but dh has promised me a brownie and hot chocolate from Starbucks as he passes it on the way home.

good for you! just treat yourselves and take it easy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast