Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all you clever chefs.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the prawn recipes they have here!

http://fishmarket.seaex.com/index.ph...Prawn-Recipes/

I will probably be making the http://fishmarket.seaex.com/index.ph...ic-Prawns.html

for Christmas Eve dinner!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 79224
    How big are king prawns (how many to the pound, I mean).

Do you want to serve them as a meal, or an h'ors d'oeurves? Hot or cold.

I have an absolutely wicked recipe for shrimp and cheesey grits. I loathe grits, but this is the one way I will eat them.

I have a super easy and very delicious scampi recipe...

Wonderful cold cocktail recipe...

What sounds best to you?
    scampi recipe please

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ermm are they cleaned and deveined?

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scampi is wicked easy Johnie. You just have to be certain you are using the very best ingredients and that the shrimp are dead fresh. (Oh. Well. You know what I mean).

For about a pound of (25-30 count) shrimp that you have cleaned and deveined but not cooked:

One cup (or so) of good quality extra virgin olive oil (I prefer Sicilian or Greek and NOT Spanish) to which you add four to six finely minced cloves of garlic and allow it to simmer gently (small bubbles, you don't want the garlic to brown). Add some parsley (I prefer fresh, no more than 1/4 cup minced) and some oregano (again fresh is best, if you can get it-about a tablespoon. If you use dried use about a teaspoon). Add some freshly ground pepper... to taste and just a (literally) pinch of sea salt.

Let all that simmer nicely for awhile (ten minutes minimum). Then move it to a large pan (if you've used a smaller saucier) and turn up the heat to medium. If you want to add a touch of lemon do it now. I sometimes add the zest of about a quarter of a lemon at this point. Add the shrimp and cook them very fast. When they are all pink, but not overcooked, remove from heat.

If I am going to serve it as is, I add some red pepper (chop a dried chili, or add pepper flakes). If I am going to serve them over rice, I cook the rice in vegetable broth with parsley, garlic and oregano added.

And that's it. You can increase or decrease the recipe as needed.

Serving the scampi as tapas is one of our favorite ways of doing it. In that case I decrease the olive oil a bit (or don't serve all the olive oil used to cook the scampi and use it for something else later-fish based, of course) and add the red pepper with a bit of a generous hand. If you don't like red pepper, skip it of course.

You can add some white wine to the olive oil just before adding the shrimp. Remove the pan from the stove, add the wine (it will splatter and make a fierce sound) let it do it's thing, return to the heat when calm and cook off the liquid in the wine... then add the shrimp.

As you can see it's a very versatile recipe. Just always be certain to clean the shrimp. There is nothing more annoying in my book than trying to shell hot shrimp that has been cooked in oil.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked up King Prawns and they seem huge!!! Three to a serving in one place that I looked. In that case I would marinate them in something like olive oil, citrus zest (maybe a mixture of lemon and lime-but no juice) red pepper and garlic for about four or more hours. Then I would grill them.

I don't think they'd do well in scampi as they seem to be too huge.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The shrimp that I serve during Lobsterfest are U-15 meaning up to 15 shrimp per pound. Ask anyone who comes, they are huge.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    They are and they are yummy! I don't typically like large shrimp b/c they tend to loose their flavor but John's are great!!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a huge fan of the larger shrimp. I prefer the 20 or smaller per pound. I'm not a huge fan of the really small ones either. I'm pretty fussy about shrimp overall, I guess. Too many bad ones out there. :(

Speaking of seafood... Where's our GrammiePo? I've not seen her around in some time. Anyone heard from her? I hope all is ok...

Post Thanks / Like
    We still need to know if they have been cleaned....this is VERY important..no one wants to eat the shrimp poo...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    If they've been deveined they should be clean....

I'm with you Tink. I don't like the little ones either. Also I can't stand overcooked shrimp. Yuck.

I think Wendy said she'd heard from GrammiePo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast