Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on the Christmas Star?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the Star of Bethlehem referred to Jesus as well.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. There has to be some sort of common thread there. Although you and I were raised at the opposite ends of the religious spectrum (in some respects) we both have that thought, so there must be some religious teaching based on it?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a Christian concept though. The Star of Bethelehem was supposed to tell the Magi (3 Wise Men) of the Christ child's birth. Ok it is in the Gospel of Matthew.....

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is a christian concept, but individual sect dogma interferes in christian interpretation across the board, eh?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very true.

Lots of things that happened regarding the prophecy of the Messiah seem to have been orchestrated to show that Jesus was the one. The political climate of the time demanded it. I'm one of those heathens that don't beleive the Bible is the literal word of God......it was written by man and history is always written by the winners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 79678
    It is a Christian concept though. The Star of Bethelehem was supposed to tell the Magi (3 Wise Men) of the Christ child's birth. Ok it is in the Gospel of Matthew.....

Yup and Luke...

There has been a lot of speculation of what the star was...the wise men were priest of zoroastriansim, sort of into astrology and astronomy. They watched the skies and the formation of the star led them on their journey to see if the Jewish prophecy was actually occuring.

Wasn't a real star as they knew the location of the stars by heart, had to be something new. There was some talk it could have been a comet, none were reported and they were usuallly a really bad omen. Wouldn't have been a shooting star, didn't last long enough. Could have been a nova, or supernova, but none were reported. So astronomers went through their ephemeris, books with tables on the location of the planets and worked it back to find that there was a great conjunction on the date posted and visible in the Bethlehem region.

Was that conjunction the star of Bethlehem? No one knows for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, 'skip! That's a tidy summation that serves to bring me up to speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 79674
    Thank you for that link, Skywatcher. Very interesting conversation. I wish I'd seen the documentary to which he refers.

He seems to think it was not Venus, 'skip.

I guess I'm feeling pretty dumb right now, because I always thought the Star of Bethlehem was 1) a reference to the Christ Child or 2) a poetic reference to the North Star.

Where on earth did I come up with those ideas? Must have heard something as a child that lodged awkwardly in my brain. :spring:
    then I got the same lesson .

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Good Explanation, Watchinhership . Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12