Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving Directions

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you need any help from me with that, Becca!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok then, perhaps just better at it

So then, how do you tell them? Something like, "Javitz Center by way of Elm and Main Street, please."

Or something different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Javitz Center please. Take 5th to ... to... stop at the first set of doors. No nonsense voice. Clear, a tiny loud (but not bellowing) and as uninflected English as I can muster.

Sometimes, I give them a time frame.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't even get me started on cab drivers. Grrrr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although there must be some "bad eggs" out there, certainly the London taxi drivers [cabbies] are well known for their knowledge of London and for not ripping off Joe Public.
    Even though I usually know where I am going, I tend to leave it to them as they know all of the side streets to get you from A to B as soon as possible based on my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to know, Slowhand!

I've actually had NYC cabbies ask me how to get where I wanted to go! One time it was the Pier!! I was going to the trade flower show at pier 31. Trust me. I don't know how you can be a cabbie in NYC and not even know what direction the pier was in. And for what it matters he was a white/native English speaker).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12