Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us one of your Christmas Memories

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 82295
    leaky eyes here John.

Isn;t it magical Mairead?

I remember when i was little, around 9-10 i used to go to midnight mass with my Grandma (not the one that is poorly) she is 94 now bless her. We always used to come back and Santa had already been! she let me open one of my stocking presents before i went to sleep. My brother and i used to wake her up really early on christmas morning and she used to sit in bed with us and let us open all our stockings. Oh what lovely memories leaky eyes again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 82236
    I suffer from really bad memory problems... and one year I actually forgot it was Christmas eve?... How can you forget? Well I just did :( It wasn't until about 4am I woke up and it hit me.... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooot! I raced to get up and get the kiddies presents wrapped just in time :( Another Christmas I hid presents and after Christmas I kept finding them.... I'd forgotten all about them and where I'd hidden them.
    whoops! i can imagine the panic......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 82253
    Needless to say that was a pretty Merry Christmas in our household.
    I'll bet!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 82287
    We did this as long as I can remember until my grandparents passed away and the tradition died out.
    awww, Dawn that sounds great fun - perhaps you could reintroduce the tradition?

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite memories of Christmas almost didn't happen. DD Alexandra was around 5 years old. After telling Santa at the mall that all she wanted was a drum for Christmas (this was her Pocahontas phase) I thought ok..that is easy (of course she would get lots of other presents too...but it was tempting) a drum, how hard can that be. You see them in every toy store, we will pick one up when we are going to Pennsylvania to spend the Christmas with her Grandparents. So now it is like Christmas Eve, we had stopped at every Crackerbarrel from VA to PA (they always had them) with no luck. A hectic trip to all the toy stores in the Scranton area...no dice, ok now I am getting desperate. It is getting late, I call music stores..do I want a deal on a whole drum kit..NO just want a toy drum. (no luck!) How on earth can I dissapoint my little girl?

So in desperation, I guess I have to make one (at 6:00 Christmas Eve) It was snowing mixed with rain and freezing rain. I run out and get a hot glue gun and glue sticks. Now I find a big coffee can in the basement. How to decorate it...well I go into the woods above my parent's house and I find fallen birch trees. It is just miserable and dark out. I strip off the bark and bring it home. I cut the bark the best I can and glue it to the can, I find some suitable material for the skin (thanks Dad!) and some leather shoelaces to string the whole thing together. I finally finish the drum and a suitable stick around 8:00 and have to run upstairs to change for mass. You should have seen her face when she got the drum. It melted my heart. We got her a war bonnet and some other indian things. I have a picture of her at home I will scan it and put it here. It was an awesome event for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    sniff .............

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwww Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 82375
    One of my favorite memories of Christmas almost didn't happen. DD Alexandra was around 5 years old. After telling Santa at the mall that all she wanted was a drum for Christmas (this was her Pocahontas phase) I thought ok..that is easy (of course she would get lots of other presents too...but it was tempting) a drum, how hard can that be. You see them in every toy store, we will pick one up when we are going to Pennsylvania to spend the Christmas with her Grandparents. So now it is like Christmas Eve, we had stopped at every Crackerbarrel from VA to PA (they always had them) with no luck. A hectic trip to all the toy stores in the Scranton area...no dice, ok now I am getting desperate. It is getting late, I call music stores..do I want a deal on a whole drum kit..NO just want a toy drum. (no luck!) How on earth can I dissapoint my little girl?

So in desperation, I guess I have to make one (at 6:00 Christmas Eve) It was snowing mixed with rain and freezing rain. I run out and get a hot glue gun and glue sticks. Now I find a big coffee can in the basement. How to decorate it...well I go into the woods above my parent's house and I find fallen birch trees. It is just miserable and dark out. I strip off the bark and bring it home. I cut the bark the best I can and glue it to the can, I find some suitable material for the skin (thanks Dad!) and some leather shoelaces to string the whole thing together. I finally finish the drum and a suitable stick around 8:00 and have to run upstairs to change for mass. You should have seen her face when she got the drum. It melted my heart. We got her a war bonnet and some other indian things. I have a picture of her at home I will scan it and put it here. It was an awesome event for me.
    Dan you truly went out of your way to make that Christmas magical for you DD>

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    All of these stories are magical i have laughed and cried christmas is a very special time.

My memory is not on christmas but around christmas; My mum worked and was out before i got up and home most nights after i went to bed, shopping for the christmas fruit/sweets was something we did the saturday before christmas it always snowed whcih made it more magical we would shop most of the day and come home cold to our parafin heater (lremember them?) and a house ful of good food and lots of sweets. but what i remeber most is the time i spent with my mum. Soppy i know but it warms my insides thinking about it. I must remind her of it.
    xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful stories all. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

'Skip, incredible.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast