Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us one of your Christmas Memories

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the threads about cookies, and decorating and food, I keep finding myself telling little bits of memories here and there.

So I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we shared a memory story. It can be long, or short, funny, sad, uplifting; essentially any Christmas season (or related to Christmas) story you care to share!

With all the wonderful members here, I know we will have some glorious and hysterically funny stories!!!

So then? Who starts? :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I suffer from really bad memory problems... and one year I actually forgot it was Christmas eve?... How can you forget? Well I just did :( It wasn't until about 4am I woke up and it hit me.... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooot! I raced to get up and get the kiddies presents wrapped just in time :( Another Christmas I hid presents and after Christmas I kept finding them.... I'd forgotten all about them and where I'd hidden them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got one. I went into the Air Force in 1967 and was sent to Germany the day after Thanksgiving in 1969. I wasn't able to come home that Christmas and it was the first time I had ever not been home for Christmas. In 1970 I still wasn't sure I was going to be able to go home but I found a fantastic deal on a flight. So I told my mom that she would be getting a nice surprise for Christmas if it got there on time. She wondered what it might be and dad suggested that maybe I was coming home. Mom just pooh poohed that idea, telling dad that "No he wouldn't do that, he would tell me." In the meantime I told no one and was scheduled to arrive on Christmas eve totally unannounced. Well the weather had a hand in it and I was indeed fortunate to get out of Germany. I had intended to rent a car at National Airport here in DC but my flight arrived after the rental counters had closed. I called home and dad just happened to answer the phone. Mom had not been feeling well and had gone to bed. My sister wasn't home either at the time. Dad went in and woke mom up and said they had to go to DC. She thought maybe his brother, a driver for Trailways bus line was in town and was going to tell dad to go and get Uncle Arnie himself. When he told her they were coming to the airport to pick me up he said that she was up and out of bed and dressed in a couple of minutes.

When we got back to the house my sister still wasn't there. We heard her pull into the driveway a little later and I went into the living room. She walked into the kitchen, took off her coat and tossed it over a chair. Mom insisted that she take the coat and put it away. My sister couldn't understand why but picked her coat up walked into the living room with her head down on the way to her room, saw me standing there, looked up and with great surprise in her voice said "What are you doing here, you didn't tell us you were coming".

Needless to say that was a pretty Merry Christmas in our household.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    You know John? I have tears over that one.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    one of the times I remember is when I was maybe 6 or 7 and my Dad was working a night shift on Christmas Eve.

I shared a room with my 2 sisters at that time, my brother was in his own room. We went to bed and kept waking every hour or 2 all through the night to see whether Santa had been, my Mum was in and out to us like a yo-yo.....literally.

Eventually she told us Santa would jingle his bells when he'd been and we actually heard them then jumped up to find our stockings there at the end of our beds. I remember receiving my very own bar of chocolate and it tasted delicious.

My poor Mum must have been absolutely shattered and then had to go on and endure christmas day with 4 excited kiddies, and I now believe the jingle bells were Mum or Dad when he got home......or were they?

Post Thanks / Like
    When my father's parents were still alive it was traditional to have a huge family gathering on Boxing Day at either our house or my aunt or uncle's houses.

We had this family tradition called "Lucky Dips". We'd all bring about 3 or 4 small wrapped gifts to the party. Anything really. Some were good, some were downright rubbish. One year my cousin bought a brussel sprout wrapped in a huge pile of newspaper. Anyway each present was given a number and then, starting with the youngest person first, we'd each draw a ticket and get the present with the corresponding number.

We did this as long as I can remember until my grandparents passed away and the tradition died out.

My dad got the brussel sprout by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    leaky eyes here John.

Isn;t it magical Mairead?

I remember when i was little, around 9-10 i used to go to midnight mass with my Grandma (not the one that is poorly) she is 94 now bless her. We always used to come back and Santa had already been! she let me open one of my stocking presents before i went to sleep. My brother and i used to wake her up really early on christmas morning and she used to sit in bed with us and let us open all our stockings. Oh what lovely memories leaky eyes again!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh another one- a funny one, and a lesson.

I always do the sprouts on christmas eve ready for the next day and i do it infront of the tv, well 2 years ago Charlie decided that every sprout that fell out of the collander was his and he duly played with and ate them. Well you can imagine the next day, he could clear the whole room.

never ever ever let your dog eat brussel sprouts ..............you'll regret it

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, XXXXXXXXX What lovely memories are coming out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast