Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Beth surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a bit of a nightmare. We travelled half way up and then phoned to see if they had a bed and they said no. They told us they would phone around 4pm. We decided we might as well go to Bristol and do what 3 girlies do best shop. When we got there we had to change Beth and when we did this she started to scream which caused concern. We went to the childrens to be told she was to old at 17 :( , so we went to Bristol royal infirmary. They were excellent and did lot's of tests. They found that the femur was catching on the pelvic socket again. She had the ball joint removed in 2003 (worst decision ever). They said she needed a nerve block and would see if Frenchay would do it at the same time as the vns. We then were told we had a bed at Frenchay. We had a cubicle for that night on the epilepsy ward and the staff were great. The following morning she was first on the list, the ortho's said they would not get involved as she was to complex :mad2: and the neuro reg said they would be replacing the battery in vns :confused2 :confused2 . I was now very worried, thankfully the main guy came and new what he was doing. He said his last reg put the vns under the arm for cosmetic reasons :nonono: so Beth could were low cut tops and dresses :nonono: . He said th surgery would take around 1hour to 1 1/2 hours. 2 hours later still no Beth, so now worried but the nurse said i was pancing for nothing. After 4 hours Beth finally goes to recovery. The nurse said there was no bed for her as she had to go to neuro surgery ward due to complications :omg:. I asked if i could go be with her and she said they do not normally allow that for adults ;) . Finally we were allowed to go and be with her and we then finally got a bed three hours later. Thankfully Beth was able to come home that day. Apparently the wire broke and the surgeon said he new i would not be happy and decided although it was risky to try to remove the wire and redo it all.
    She is a little down in the dumps at the moment but will hopefully pick up soon. It is turned off for now but i am happy with taht as we are chocking on fluids and have no voice again. Never ever again.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear it was so rough for you all - hopefully it's the first step to improvement though for you both
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my goodness Michelle, what an absolute nightmare for you and poor Beth - i hope she's feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    for you all

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no, what a rough day for you both....especially poor Beth. How's she doing now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou all

She is really quiet and has a couple other problems. She became a young lady last month if you get my gist, well she started again the day of surgery and has had really bad cramps. She is also badly constipated so pumping her full of laxatives. Poor mite is not having a good week.
    One funny moment in the hospital is when a male nurse came to take her temp and blood presure, now this is a no no were Beth is concerned. This nurse asks from the door if he can take her blood pressure and temp, Beth shouts no. I say just go for it but she will scream but waiting will just make it worse. He goes to her and she catches sight of him. Hello she says, he ask's if he can take her tem and blood pressure, she says yes whilst fluttering her eye lids. He the says well done you have been a good girl. She says yes and says good bye all the time with a great big grin on her face . It was so funny. She must of fancied him

Post Thanks / Like

Michelle. I just never, ever know how to express my amazement at what you and your daughter go through on a daily basis.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle and Beth you poor things. Michelle you are an awesome Mum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    :) upside...now you know to find a nice looking male nurse to take her temp and bp :)

Downside...sorry she is having such a tough time...poor darlin...days like that are rough on everybody. She is such a strong young lady :)
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, what an ordeal you had to go through and poor Beth. Hope she is OK now.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast