Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My grandma's Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Johnie. I used to beg my Mother to not frost the cakes... every now and then she'd make one that was really dense and moist that didn't 'need' frosting. As far as I'm concerned no cake needs frosting! LOL.

But RV is very moist and would be great without frosting.

Lard is the only thing that I could think of that looks like the product. It's NOT a replacement as I said, but I was trying to give you a mental image. Crisco is smoother and creamier than lard.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 84634
    Lard is the only thing that I could think of that looks like the product. It's NOT a replacement as I said, but I was trying to give you a mental image. Crisco is smoother and creamier than lard.

lard ~ shudder!

Crisco does ring a bell now - i wonder whether we have it here, there's bound to be something similar anyway I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I made all my pie crusts with lard. I thought I would do the "old fashioned" thing...

UGH. Nasty. I know folks like it, but to me it just tasted and smelled of pork. NOT the flavor (although I do like pork) I want with my banana cream, pumpkin, rhubarb, blueberry or apple pie! Or any other pie for that matter.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad lard isn't used much now - I have memories of that awful smell from my childhood Sunday roasts

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I suddenly have the biggest craving for some pie.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Cookeen ring a bell with our UK folks?

Did a google search and came up with this

1 US cup = 236.588238 ml

Also
    the term "shortening" can be used more broadly to apply to any fat, such as butter, lard, or margarine, used in baking, but as used in recipes it refers to a hydrogenated vegetable oil that is solid at room temperature. Shortening has a higher smoke point than butter and margarine, and it has 100% fat content, compared to 80% for butter and margarine. Crisco, a popular brand, was first produced in 1911. In Ireland and the UK Cookeen is a popular brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 84647
    Does Cookeen ring a bell with our UK folks?
    yep i *think* that sounds familiar Johnie, thanks

i would so love to make this cake and wow everyone with it....i'll let you know if i get brave enough to try it!

Post Thanks / Like
    The cake alone wows......if you can also make it pretty that is great. But it doesn't need to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I make this in OC then? :tongue:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast