Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to talk about Christmas Dinner, yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    No. I don't much care for the sliced (lengthwise) green beans. I do like true haricot verts, but will enjoy the regular green bean. I prefer them with just the stem end snipped. I like them long and skinny.

So! I guess it's time I answer my own question?

What was it again? OH!

Breakfast on Christmas day: Definitely, Herself's homemade caramel pecan sticky buns, coffee, poinsettas, sausages... Maybe: Toad in the hole, or baked French toast (Disney recipe) and of course cookies. :D

Lunch will be ham, turkey (cold slices) cheese, homemade rolls, olives, relishes, those sorts of things...

Main meal (who knows when we'll actually eat it) will be lasagne, and salad with more homemade rolls, sausage rolls, a gazillion cookies, that chocolate torte of Herself's and the trifle...

There may be additions along the way. I always end up adding things. :spring: With a houseful to feed, I always have way too much food, plus I love to have choices, so I don't believe there are ever too many dishes from which to choose! :D

Is it traditional? Sort of. In my Mother's house Christmas day dinner was always lasagne, with salad. There was always sausage roll and pies and Mama would make a turkey just so folks could have a sandwich later.

Breakfast at Christmas varies depending upon who is with us, and what we feel like having!

Christmas Eve this year will be a departure from our usual 7 fishes. With so many, and many of them not liking seafood we're falling back on the standards of ham, and the turkey mentioned above. There will be clam whiffle, and "clam spaghetti" (not actual spaghetti, but it got pegged that in our family and that's what we still call it) with homemade rolls, sausage roll...you get the idea. A touch of seafood anyway for us die hards, but enough other choices for the non-seafood lovers to have something nice too. I may add some shrimp to the choices...depends upon whether I can find any good shrimp or not.

Of course, our Seth pointed out over the weekend when he asked for "cwams" for his birthday dinner that he also liked "wobster." Uh huh. Who's he been hanging with?

I may add a lobster bisque as Herself is a huge lover of "wobster" too. :D :D

So, you see? You just never know what you are going to get at our house.

I must say though, that each menu here has my mouth salivating!!! I'd so love to visit each home and have some of the wonderful food you are preparing. :D

Oh, some preparations have begun. Cookies (some) have been made as you know, and sausage has been prepped, that sort of thing.

Will actually start cooking in earnest this weekend...

I love this part of Christmas the best. I love the preparation of the food and mostly, the sharing of the food with beloved family and dear friends.

So then...in the dear friend camp, ya'll wanna' join us? :D :D :D I promise there will be enough! :D :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    FROZEN green beans? Can't go with you there, Sarah. I despise frozen green beans (and frozen carrots). They actually make me shudder! :spring:

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. I forgot. There will be pecan pie and pumpkin pie on Christmas too. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    What time is dinner? Or is it an all day affair? I just need to be in Ocean City by 3pm on Saturday......

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 85349
    FROZEN green beans? Can't go with you there, Sarah. I despise frozen green beans (and frozen carrots). They actually make me shudder! :spring:
    Better than canned honestly..ever eat the green beans at WDW..they are frozen...I asked!

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    and they are gross!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ick. WDW green beans!

We'll start early, Johnie so maybe you'd better come in on Christmas Eve. :D We'll be noshing and downright stuffing ourselves all day. :D

You might make it to Ocean City by Saturday...maybe. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    okey dokey...sounds like a plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I need to go get some breakfast - my mouth is watering after catching up with this thread It's fascinating reading through the different things people will eat, and the traditions they have. Now I have finished work until the new year I can start to plan and get excited!

Tink....think I will cancel all plans and come to your place...it all sounds fab but those caramel pecan sticky buns are calling to me...it's my intention to start baking a little as it's not something I do much of right now...the thought of the aroma of those baking in the oven may have just given me the little push I need! :)

In terms of prep there is not much to do yet - but we do love our wine and fizz and it has all been ordered and delivered!! Wouldn't like to have a Christmas Wine Crisis on our hands

On Christmas Eve we will open an expensive champagne we were given and have had sitting around waiting to drink - a Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 1996 (I sound like I know what I'm talking about don't I ) with some nice olives. Then we will have steak and chips (fries) - an excellent ribeye from the farm a mile from here, and some homemade garlicky chunky fries (that will be double baked instead of fried in the interests of at least pretending to save on some calorie intake :D ) with the oniony, mushroomy, worcestershire saucey, creamy sauce that I make on the side.

Although there will be just the two of us here for Christmas we have to go out to visit respective families for a couple of hours on Christmas morning and so won't have the glass of champage to start the day that we normally would as we'll both be driving. So we'll probably skip breakfast at home and just have some good coffee before we leave. I will leave my Mum's house with the freshly cooked gammon and the Christmas Cake she gives me every year.

We don't like to eat our big meal until about 7pm as we both hate that feeling of being too full up and drowsy for the rest of the day. So when we get back we will open a bottle of pink champagne and have a light lunch of smoked salmon and king prawns with lemon juice and brown bread, and maybe a couple of slices of Mum's gammon. I always make sure I have lots of nice cheeses, olives, salads, pates and san daniele ham in so if we need to snack there are lovely things to grab.

In the evening we will have the traditional meal of turkey, sage and onion stuffing, sausagemeat and onion stuffing (which I love and make far too much of so I can eat it by itself as a leftover), roast and mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, sprouts for him but I will not go near those evil things , yorkshire pudding, turkey gravy and cranberry sauce. We both love Christmas pudding and brandy sauce but will probably be too full up to have it and will have it on Boxing Day!!

I love the leftovers! From being a child we always had cold turkey and chips for boxing day lunch! So on Boxing Day we just graze on the leftovers, the gammon and all of the nice snackie things we have in the fridge! And drink more fizz of course...probably pink :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Cancel everything, we're off to Tink's.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast