Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: villa or onsite

Post Thanks / Like
    we're still debating whether to go for a villa or pop century next year

I think its the disney busses that are making us think pop century may save us driving around.

Is there a villa area that has any kind of bus service to disney ?

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't know about the busses goofygal but just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the main site to have a pro's and cons of staying on/off site or in a villa, in a simple list format.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think any of the villas provide transportation to/from WDW. Some of the off-site resorts do, but most of them have odd hours--last bus of the day tends to be before fireworks/finales.

Another possibility might be a split stay--part on site at WDW and part off-site at a villa or resort nearer I-Drive/US/IOA/SeaWorld. Just depends on how long your visit is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 86494
    i don't know about the busses goofygal but just wondering whether it might be a good idea for the main site to have a pro's and cons of staying on/off site or in a villa, in a simple list format.
    will put this to the team to see if it can be housed on the main site brit
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    If you rent a villa you will need a car.

We've always used hotels before but this time we have booked a villa - more room, private pool, kitchen, laundry facilities - no we've got the boy we don't feel one hotel room will make for a pleasant holiday experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 87814
    If you rent a villa you will need a car.

more room, private pool, kitchen, laundry facilities
    agree totally....home from home, its great staying in a villa on every aspect of a stay
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done both.... It is magical and awesome to stay onsite, you get the benefit of Extra Magic Hours (think that's what they are called, correct me if I'm wrong somebody) which means you can enter the certain parks on certain days an hour before the public. You can get alot of rides done in that hour. The buses are a plus and they do have laundry facilities on site and good pools, now the downside of staying on site I found were this... Not everyone can afford the luxury of having several rooms for the family so make do with one room, only the moderates and deluxes have a tiny fridge in the room, unless you want to pay for a fridge in the value resorts at around $10 per night. The laundry facilities mean you have to hang around while your stuff washes and dries plus the driers get really hot hot hot and ruin your clothes and it costs extra to wash and dry, in a villa it comes all in the cost of the villa. If you have not hired a car while staying onsite you are forced to eat at WDW and that can be very expensive in the long run or you have to get a cab to go to the stores and restaurantes outside of the WDW complex again this can turn out costly. If you are not a driver however then staying onsite is a good option because the Disney buses are free for you.

If you want to do both I would do onsite first then a villa, that way you can use the laundry facilities for free at the villa and are better able to take clean clothes home in your suitcase. Plus the space and own pool are very nice to have.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's absolutely spot on and exactly what I'd say about onsite v off

We love the extra magic hours and the busses which mean we can drink without worrying about driving and so on. It's worth mentioning though that onsite disney restaurants have in general gone way downhill since the dining plan. The restaurants are more packed, harder to book, some of the nicer items have been removed from menus to prevent blowing the cost of the dining plan and overall, we tend to feel rushed now which is very different to a few years ago.

This means that after years of onsite only, we're thinking about perhaps splitting with onsite/villa for the first time. We ate offsite quite a bit this last trip and the restaurants offsite were mainly cheaper and nicer. Considering that from many disney resorts it can cost $20-25 just to get to downtown disney in a taxi before getting offsite to the actual restaurants, it's a very costly option.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 87846

I think that's absolutely spot on and exactly what I'd say about onsite v off

We love the extra magic hours and the busses which mean we can drink without worrying about driving and so on. It's worth mentioning though that onsite disney restaurants have in general gone way downhill since the dining plan. The restaurants are more packed, harder to book, some of the nicer items have been removed from menus to prevent blowing the cost of the dining plan and overall, we tend to feel rushed now which is very different to a few years ago.

This means that after years of onsite only, we're thinking about perhaps splitting with onsite/villa for the first time. We ate offsite quite a bit this last trip and the restaurants offsite were mainly cheaper and nicer. Considering that from many disney resorts it can cost $20-25 just to get to downtown disney in a taxi before getting offsite to the actual restaurants, it's a very costly option.
    you will not be disappointed staying in a villa keith for sure...if you d oia cab everynight a car would/maybe cheaper for just the two of you
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Have stayed offsite and then more recently onsite. Onsite wins for us, we only sleep in our rooms. I would never waste holiday time on laundry - so laundry facilities don't come into it with us. Mad as it seems, we seem to be on the go the whole time. When we make use of EMH, then we are too tired to drive and therefore the buses are ideal. We usually have a car so that we can get to non-Disney places. This year, we wil be making use of the Magical Express to and from our resort and then hire a car for the middle of the holiday!
    Team Harris
    1st visit Sept 87 Off Site 2nd visit Oct 89 Off Site
    3rd visit Oct 90 Royal Plaza 4th visit Oct 91 Off Site
    5th visit Oct 92 Off Site 6th visit May 97 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)7th visit Oct 03 Off site 8th visit Aug 04 Disneyland Paris (off site)9th visit Feb 06 Davy Crocket 10th visit Aug 07 Pop Century 11th visit Aug 09 OKW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast