16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, bring on the kitchen diva

9 56.25%
  • nigella who?

7 43.75%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just out of interest - Nigella

Post Thanks / Like
    Is gammon a meat? I have a slow cooker pot roast recipe that calls for onion soup mix and coke. It is awesome!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    it's a raw ham joint Johnie, you boil it in the coke and then drain it and brown in a hot oven

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brit, I'd like a recipe if that's ok Can't seem to find one through the net. I was interested in what went on as the glaze particularly.

Yes, I put it in a very hot oven for about 10 mins if it's still warm from boiling. If I've let it cool down it's about half an hour. I glaze it with with a tbs black treacle, then rub on 2 tsp mustard powder and 2 tbs demarara sugar, and of course pop the cloves in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be doing the ham in coca cola. Do it every year. We will have it Boxing day with some corn bread. Yummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    2.25- 2.75 kg boneless mild cure gammon

16 whole cloves
    3-4 tablesp cherry jam

approx 6 cans cherry coke
    1 onion

1 teasp smoked paprika

1/2 teas red wine vinegar

soak ham overnight or bring to boil and then ditch water, rinse ham

put snugly into large saucepan -tight fit so use less coke.

add cherry coke and onion, halved -cover ham with coke or top up with water to cover

cook for approx 2-2 1/4 hours

preheat oven to 230c
    strip off rind and a little of fat, score in a diamond pattern stud each diamond with a clove

put jam, paprika adn red wine vinegar into a saucepan and whisk over high heat-bring to boil -let it bubble away to syrupy consistency

sit ham on foil (to save washing up and pan!) pour glaze over and put in over for approx 15 mins or until glaze has caught. Rest before carving

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a kid Mom's work used to give everyone one of those canned hams. hey, when you've got 5 kids to feed, it came in handy... She'd poke holes in the top of the can, she'd dump in a can of Coke or Seven Up and then she'd spread peanut butter over the top. The peanut butter would melt down over the ham and it would cook in the soda. It tasted pretty good to a kid!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Donna, that sounds like one of those things you LOVE as a kid!!! :D

Julie, ta muchly for the recipe Cherry jam.... 'twill have to be tried at some point.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - made the Xmas version of Rocky Road with half a ton of chocolate, amaretti, marshmallows and brazil nuts. The calories are imaginary and they taste great.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags, post: 86801
    Yes - made the Xmas version of Rocky Road with half a ton of chocolate, amaretti, marshmallows and brazil nuts. The calories are imaginary and they taste great.

Margaret
    Everyone round to Margaret's!

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright whose Nigella?

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast