Thread: pop century or port orleans?

Post Thanks / Like
    hiya

I have to make a choice and soon for our 2009 stay

pop century will be standard summer season which I think will be about $115 a night and port orleans about another $40 or so a night but it looks so beautiful.

Are there any other advantages to staying at port orleans over pop century?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't stayed at port orleans but i have heard rave reviews and seen lots of lovely photos and would like to try it.

I have however stayed at the coronado resort (another moderate) and to be honest i would probably save the money and stay in a value like Pop. We found Pop to be very comfortable, you are hardly in your room anyway.

main differences

i believe some rooms there have a trundle bed so you can sleep 5

there is a curtain between the main bedroom and sinks and bathroom so you can dress in privacy.

the decorations in the room are more intricate, there is a free fridge i think?? please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

the main pool has a slide

there is boat transportation to downtown disney.

can't think of any more at the moment- i'm sure others will add to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkTink, post: 86720
    hiya

I have to make a choice and soon for our 2009 stay

pop century will be standard summer season which I think will be about $115 a night and port orleans about another $40 or so a night but it looks so beautiful.

Are there any other advantages to staying at port orleans over pop century?
    One vote for Port Orleans (Riverside). Our favorite resort! Advantages? A sit down restaurant (Boatwrights), a lounge (River Roost Lounge with Yeehaw Bob, the piano player), wonderful grounds, boats to Downtown Disney. Two sinks in the bath area (as opposed to one at PC). If any of those things matter to you.

We've stayed at Pop Century also and while it's adequate, it just doesn't have the same ambience to me that Port Orleans does.

Tom (who does so enjoy a good Mint Julep)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's a good summary from Britchick

I really like both pop and port orleans!

Pop has a kind of disney excitement, as do the all star resorts. You really know you're at Disney and its all fun and bright colours. The location is pretty good too, close to epcot and mgm and not THAT far from downtown/mk. You can be quite a way from the main building but thats true at port orleans too.

port orleans, both riverside and french quarter are beautiful. There's a more relaxed feel to them than pop century. The boat to downtown disney is a nice ride in itself and you can relax around the resorts easier than pop century.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 86730
    One vote for Port Orleans (Riverside). Our favorite resort! Advantages? A sit down restaurant (Boatwrights), a lounge (River Roost Lounge with Yeehaw Bob, the piano player),
    forgot about piano Bob!!! yes, he's great and there's a Jazz musician called Elliot Dyson at the scat cat lounge down there at port orleans french quarter.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never stayed and port orleans... but have stayed at pop and loved it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Pop lover here!

I miss my bed at Pop...

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    If indeed the difference in price is only $40 and that extra per day won't bust your budget then I would definitely stay at Port Orleans. I love the ambiance there much better than Pop even though Pop is a wonderful value resort.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved the value we stayed at (ASMo) but we stayed at POR last year as it was not a lot more for us and we loved it even more. It is beautiful and I loved walking around the resort in the evenings, and the carriage rides and taking a surrey bike out for a spin around the resort and the boat to DTD is a great added bonus.

I think it is worth it if it isn't going to impact your spending money for your holiday, if other things you want to do have to take a back seat for the resort upgrade then the value it would be for us

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    We stayed at PO - Riverside twice & we love it. To me the biggest advantage to it over Pop would be the size. a few less people to have to fight at meal time, busstops & pools. It's a great place, very scenic & nice rooms. Nice restaurant & food court & I love the gift shop.

I've never stayed at Pop Century but we did visit it once about two or three years back & my kids fell in love with the looks of the place. I think if you have young kids this would be a great place.
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]