Thread: Paging Dr Skywatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this anything good? It's the brightest thing in my bit of sky right now. If it helps the new moon is to the bottom right hiding behind a tree.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to take a picture of the big W too but I can't get my shutter to stay open long enough. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    The big W is Cassiopea - :D well done for spotting it

The picture is of Venus which is a glorious sight at the moment inthe early twighlight so bright it looks like a car headlamp - you have also just about caught its 'phase' in otherwords it is not round and is currently looking like a half moon :D nicely taken

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. :D

I need to get the instruction book out for my camera because apparently there's a setting to hold the shutter open. And I need a tripod.

The big W is right overhead my back garden.

Orion is out there somewhere but I can't see it. It's amazing how much light pollution a few street lamps make.

Post Thanks / Like
    orion is only just about rising from the southeast hun at thistime of night - doesn't get high up until gone 10 pm at the moment

Post Thanks / Like
    Steven wants to know if we can see any other planets without a telescope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn... I like that picture :D it's very very cool.
    You should get yourself a gorillapod, they're brilliant and you can use them anywhere. Obviously if just going to be used in the back garden then you could just use a regular one... have you checked freecycle? Ours have had tripods in the past.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yall should come to colorado where we are like 47 feet from the moon...I can see that stuff with my bare eyeballs...all the time..

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    With out any magnifying equipment you can easily see Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn - Uranus ( stop giggling Brit) is just about visible but you need to know exactly where to look.

the 'treats' are the meteors each night i go out I see between 5 and 10 some are bright enough to cast a shadow! you just need to be out long enough