Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else not like new years eve?

Post Thanks / Like
    We never made much of NYE when I was a kid growing up which may explain why it's no big deal to me now. When I lived in Indy I did spend a few NYEs at parties at one of the nicer hotels downtown. But I'm honestly not a late night person and really struggle to stay awake even when we have a house full of company.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    over the years we had some fantastic hogmanays with friends at a private party, DD is a little older now (12) and doesn't want to stay with the grandparents, so we stay home, this coincided with my granny passing 4yrs ago, on new year's day, so today is a sad day anyways....... it doesn't feel the same celebrating one minute, and being melancholy the next.....

so we stayed home, saw in the bells, watched jools holland (attempted to watch the edinburgh party, but it was pants) and then went to bed, pretty much relieved it was all over and done with for another year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ach Val.

Would you explain hogmany a bit, please? I get the jist that it's a party, but how does it differ from 'just another NYE party?'

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure Tink

Hogmanay is really just another word for New year's eve. In many years gone by we would all go with the tradition of "First footing" so as soon as the bells strike midnight, we would all troop off either to a neighbour's house or to a relative's and pay them a visit, bringing with us some new year cheer of course!

If we had a party, one of the dark haired men was thrown outside just before the bells, so they could first foot and be the tall dark man carrying a dram of whiskey and a lump of coal ....... bringing warmth and hospitality into the host's home.

Most of this has fallen by the wayside, at least in our family... we are all too spread out now.

The party we normally go to is quite traditional, plenty scottish dancing, a pipe band for midnight, stovies for supper, pretty much a ceilidh but with some chart music thrown in too....

V
    xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! Sounds like fun!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123