Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you first find out about disneyworld?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading some threads here and started wondering how we all found out about this Disneyworld (or disneyland) place.

For me it was a mix of two things. When I was young, I remember being bored on holiday in Wales (nothing wrong with Wales, plenty wrong with me being a sulky bored kid) and morning TV came on with roland the rat and they were doing a special from in front of the Magic Kingdom Castle. It looked so fantastic that I couldn't believe it was a real place.

Years later a company I was working at hired cars/drivers for their execs and I always seemed to get the same guy who started talking about how he worked as a driver all year just to take his grandchildren to Disney. He started bringing photos to show me and on one trip back from Manchester Airport after a particularly long and awful business trip, he played his video from the last trip. I remember seeing illuminations and thinking ok, I've just GOT to go see that.

I've been back every time I possibly can ever since
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Disneyland. I learned about it as a child watching the Wonderful World of Disney.

Much the same for Disney World. A tv special perhaps? I just remember watching a show about the new park in Florida, and seeing Pirates of the Caribbean. I was so impressed and wanted to go!

Never got there until I was an adult and truly disliked my first (single day) visit!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Every christmas as a kid they used to have Disneytime or something like that where they showed clips from the films and was usually broadcast from Disneyland or similar

I never really believed I would ever go but got a hold of as much memorabilia and info as i could.

Primarily I am an animation fan and I was in love with the films above all else - being an animator was all I wanted to be for a while. I used to write to the animators and met Marc Davies when he came to the UK twice. Some may not even know who he is. But the films touched me very much as a child and still do.

The parks came second for me, but the magic of the films permeated every brick of the place - and the cast members, I think are the no1 reason I go back as often as is humanly possible

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching Walt talking about it on TV when I was a kid! And I wanted to be a Mouseketeer!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Disneytime on TV at Christmas. Was years before I realised that castle was real and people could go and see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Skywatcher. It's the films that did it for me too. That was my connection to Disney and remains my strongest connection. The parks are lovely, but they are only one dimension of what Disney means to me, and it's a lesser aspect than the films (mostly the older ones...).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Disneytime for me as well - it used to be a bank holiday thing I wish it was still on

I must have a copy somewhere as Matt from Bros presented it once and I have everything on VHS that he ever appeared on

I also remember a girl from school going when we were about 8 (1978ish) she was the only person I knew that ever went abroad for her holiday and I was so jealous the year she went to WDW.

My main obsession started when I was around 13 as i did a project on WDW in Geography :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw something on TV once about Epcot and the monorail and just knew I HAD to visit that strange ball thing. When I actually got there and realised you go inside that ball I was beyond excited and completely overawed and soaked up that ride for all it was worth, not realising for one minute that I would be able to go back again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always known about Disney World it seems.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've racked my brains and I have no idea!

The most likely theory is WDW adverts on the telly, I do know once I realised I could go there was no stopping me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast