Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 90557
    I LINUX based on the UNIX platform? I was reading about it before it became available, but haven't followed up on it. I really like UNIX, but it isn't the most user-friendly OS. And the software tends to be much more expensive. So as Keith mentioned, it's best for servers, IMHO.
    It's a subject of some debate UNIX is a brand now, so linux can't officially be called UNIX although of course, functionally, that's exactly what it is

The software well, as you say there's some very expensive stuff out there but then there are many thousands of applications and packages released under free licenses which are freely downloadable.

As a server OS, it's thoroughly ubiquitous now and whereas in the old days, things were packaged for HPUX or Solaris, now you face the easiest time of all installing packages on Linux.

As a desktop OS it's awful and it's amazing to me how the world could get so many thousands of talented developers together and utterly fail to understand how to code a nice GUI.

Ubuntu is a particular variant of linux led by a guy who has finally come round to agreeing that the desktop UI stinks. He's pledging to employ people to actually improve it this year and thus says 09/10 could be linux on the desktop time. Well, maybe! I hope so! Apple and Microsoft need competition but what a shame they didnt have it ready for when Vista came out. Many more people would be using linux on the desktop if they'd got a decent desktop out when vista slithered onto the market.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 90557
    I LINUX based on the UNIX platform? I was reading about it before it became available, but haven't followed up on it. I really like UNIX, but it isn't the most user-friendly OS. And the software tends to be much more expensive. So as Keith mentioned, it's best for servers, IMHO.

I'm one of those still stuck in AOHell.

DSL or broadband may be available in April. Or may not. They keep routing everything around this area. I'm beginning to feel slighted!

your still on dial up....i thought those days were long gone, one company is offering 50mg BB via cable here now.....and my town has no cable stayem at all
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    "It's a whole new world..."

sorry, could not resist

I have been using Linux in one form or another for a few years now. I am currently using Ubuntu. In the past I have tried SUSE, Mandrake / Mandriva, Red Hat / Fedora, and Debian.

As Keith mentioned, Linux is a stong player in the server world, particularly on public web servers (using the Apache webserver). It has yet to become a major contender in the mainstream desktop market, although several attempts have been made in the last few years.

One of the great strengths of Linux, for those who care, is it's flexibility, and large choice of different software that can be used to perform a particular task. In many ways this is a good thing, but it can also be considered it's Achilles heel. In some ways there is too much choice for the average person to deal with. When you think of Windows you have a fairly clear idea what that consists of. When you think of "Linux" you have to then consider which one of the 100's of distributions / versions you are referring to... it's a bit of a moving target

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    The GUI is what puts me off a bit. I think even down to the font its a bit amateurist, but much it's free so I don't want to complain too much. Is there a Windows Live messenger for Linux?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    From a geeky technical persepective, it can be nice to have the ability to "look under the hood" and see how it works, if that is something that interests you (geek here )

For my needs I find Linux fine for my computing needs (internet, programming, graphics, etc...).

Games are one area that Linux is not great for, as there is very little interest or support for Linux from the major Games publishers. There are ways to get certain windows-based Games running in Linux (using Wine (a windows emulator)) but that can be fairly technical and not necessarily produce a perfect result (graphics / audio issues etc...)

Progress is being made rapidly, and companies such as Canonical (the people behind Ubuntu), Red Hat, IBM, and others are bringing commercial / legal support and financing into the community to help bring Linux further into everyday use and acceptance... there is still some way to go, but it is getting there

... erm... what was the question again?... i appear to have gone off on a tangent

... in summary, Linux suits my needs fine, and it is an interesting alternative to Windows if you are willing to give it a go... it may not suit everybody though.

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 90579
    The GUI is what puts me off a bit. I think even down to the font its a bit amateurist, but much it's free so I don't want to complain too much. Is there a Windows Live messenger for Linux?

The default GUI in Ubuntu is based on GNOME... one of many alternative user interfaces available. The other major GUI is known as KDE. Kbuntu is the sibling distribution of Ubuntu that uses KDE by default instead of GNOME. KDE is more windows-like.

It is possible to download and install KDE in Ubuntu alongside GNOME. The "Add / Remove..." software tool in the "Applications" menu allows you to find and install new packages. Search for "KDE4", and you can install KDE (it will be a big download and will take some time). If you do download it, you will be able choose the type of "session" you want when you login to Ubuntu... you will have the option of a KDE session as well as your default / GNOME sessions...

More info, screenshots etc of KDE: http://kde.org/screenshots/

As to a Windows Messenger equivalent... there are many IRC / Messaging programs that provide access to the Windows Messenger service among others.

"Pidgin" is the default Windows Messenger equivalent program in Ubuntu. You may already have it installed. If not you can find it in the "Applications > Add / Remove" installation tool.

Good luck

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    Good heavens, Hex! I think that is the most I've "heard" you say, ever! Nice to have you with us! :9:

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, yes I tend to lurk rather than post

I can ramble on about technical things that interest me for quite a while however

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    Steven says is there any chance of any dinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 90601
    Steven says is there any chance of any dinner.
    possibly... depends on the level of the bribe...

... 'nuff said

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast