Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!! R.E homework

Post Thanks / Like
    please can someone help me answer this question.

why do people suffer?

^^i have to write a report answering this question^^

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my gosh - that's a tricky one

what do you mean by suffer? what immediately springs to mind is what one sees as suffering other's put up with and accepts as normal.

i.e someone in a 3rd world country might accept that people die young because they can't get medical treatment for a condition or they don't have a variety of good food to eat. In countries in the western world this would be deemed as unacceptable and therefore people would be said to be suffering.

also is it a physical or emotional thing? or both

Post Thanks / Like
    You could look at it in the way that people suffer pain because they are to proud or ashamed to ask for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could also add the spin that those suffer because those around them don't help them.

Or that people suffer because they choose a path that leads to suffering.

There are loads of answers to this question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people suffer as a matter of devotion. "Offer it up" is a statement you'll hear in some religions regarding the experience of suffering. Suffering in that context is thought to be 'holy' or for the love of G-d. Throughout history (particularly in the RC church) suffering has been seen as a good thing, something that brings you closer to G-d, to holiness.

It seems like your being asked to write an expository essay on what suffering means to you. Pick an aspect, or discuss all aspects you can think of and present them in separate logical paragraphs.

Have fun! Sounds like a rather neat assignment.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you all, you have all opened my mind to what 'suffering' means .

Post Thanks / Like
    A very clever piece of homework, really gets you thinking about what it could mean, so many different ways to explain the same word...

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    wow - that was difficult! It certainly got me thinking. Thank goodness he's done it now, luckily he didn't have to do too much or I fear we'd still be here this time tomorrow trying to get it finished! Thanks for all your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got it sorted- I was very excited I got to finally use some R.E knowledge I gained in GCSE, however, this one had me scratching my head. Well done on writing it, :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Suffer from what? I mean there are sooo many things to suffer from. Why would a person suffer in a dead end relationship? Why does someone suffer from depression? Alcohol abuse. Drug abuse. Domestic abuse. I could go on and on and on

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast