Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigh......schooling issues

Post Thanks / Like
    So last year I started a doctorate in psychology program. Part of my work benefits are tuition reimbursement. Well, they reimbursed one class, managed to lose the paperwork for the other class so I was SOL Anyway, I haven't taken classes since last May since work told me the agency didn't have money for tuition reimbursement. I am not happy. I swear I keep waiting to hear that they don't have money for my health care.

I am essentially tapped out of federal financial aid. My plan had been to pay for the first class and then pay for subsequent classes with the tuition reimbursement. I also had been taking classes online. I get it into my head last night that I should look locally and maybe classes will be cheaper and perhaps I could get a fellowship and/or teach undergrad classes.

So I am looking and proud of myself for thinking of this so early. Apparently not early enough. The deadline for fall semester entrance was December

As I am well aware that many things are not set in stone, do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and apply anyway?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would call the admissions department and talk to someone about your situation. They may make exceptions, doesn't hurt to ask.

Not to get noisy, but have looked into get school loans that are based on your credit and work history. They do work very similar to federal loans are not paid back until school is over. Trust me, I have loads

Post Thanks / Like
    I found some email addresses and am going to make some inquiries.

I haven't looked at private loans in awhile but several years ago they wanted a co-signer and I can't ask mom or dad to do that.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some out there now that you don't need a co-signer as long as you have had a job consistently for 2 years and have decent credit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Could you send me a PM with the lendors names? Thanks hon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would apply anyway

the worst that could happen is that they say NO.. which is what you have right now, so, nothing to lose :)

good luck Johnie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't hurt to try, I'd go for it

Post Thanks / Like
    I've sent some email inquiries this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remembering of course that every contact with the institute of higher education (as a doctoral candidate) goes on to form part of their concept of you as a doctoral candidate.

I understand the situation, and I'm sure you can explain it very well, but you want to avoid at all costs that you were unaware of the deadlines as a result of procrastination or because you take a laid back approach to your studies. I know that isn't the case, but they see much of that on a daily basis and that will be their first thought.

I worked with students in the office of academic support as an undergrad and came away with quite an uncomfortable concept of how students are judged and how those judgments carry through their academic careers.

Nothing for you to be in an uproar about, just want you to be hyper careful to explain succinctly but clearly why you are in this situation.

Good luck!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast