Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigh......schooling issues

Post Thanks / Like
    A writing course would be extremely beneficial. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhhhhh! Yes indeed!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all can use practice with writing. I still don't have my grammar down like I should.

Post Thanks / Like
    A language course to help with your new Travel course. Sorry it hasn't worked out hon but do something fun and hit the ground running in October.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep contemplating ASL but I do NOT have a knack for languages. I have tried ASL in another graduate class and that was beyond hard. I don't think my fingers move quite like they should

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, to truly be fluent you need to take several classes. Honestly I was naive and thought it would be easy to learn this language (as I have trouble with other languages) and boy was I ignorant. When I looked into it, it proved to be a task and half. I didn't even attempt it after my eye opener.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not so much how your fingers move as it is the way your brain thinks. First, the deaf have fierce memories. Seriously. It was an aspect of our learning.

Secondly, you need to train yourself to think in pictures instead of words. Once I got that down, I moved beyond a plateau that I had hit.

Then, you need to understand the culture. Physically trying to describe something with your gestures is polite and accepting. Writing something down for a Deaf person is considered ignorant and sign of the writer's ummmmm...stupidity. The Deaf view the written word as not of their language, it's a second language to them, so they feel when they are written to, they are being forced to communicate in a language they don't understand well.

ASL has a defined syntax and grammar, long thought to be absent in that form of communication.

Some of the signs make great sense if you understand the history behind them.

And yes. :) Deaf people in different countries have different signs. :) Hence the name, American Sign Language as opposed to Portugese sign, or Spanish Sign, or French Sign, or the generic (but not widely used) gestuno.

The Deaf for the most part (generalities are always fraught with exceptions) quite blunt, direct folk who will describe you as you appear to them. If you have curly hair, are tall, are of a particular build, all that will factor into their description of you. It's not impolite in their world.

Eeeeesh. I ramble. I love the language and sorely miss being able to use it. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think in pictures which I think is what makes it hard for me to grasp a true awareness of autism as well.

We have two counselors in my office who are deaf and hard of hearing. One is the regional counselor for all the deaf/hard of hearing clients. The other has a general caseload. I see them and the interpreters signing all the time, I wish I could pick it up by osmosis I'd love to learn it and maybe one day I will.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we don't think in pictures because as hearing people we first learned the function of sound as it relates to our communication, eh?

You can learn to think in pictures though. Just try it for a bit. Instead of the word car, bring up a picture of a car in your mind. Now, how would you SHOW the car?

(Actually, that's a terrible example because the car for car is a fast spelling of c a r).

But you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm I will try that. I am very much a visual learner. I have to put my hands on something to "get" it. I wonder if this would be a similar way of learning?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast