Thread: For those of us being sucked into the world of Skywatcher...

Post Thanks / Like
    ... it must be catching! Is there any cure Doc? :-)

I have been using Stellarium, and open-source (i.e. completley free) planetarium program in the last few days. It is a great way to get an idea whats up in the sky and how the multitude of stars and constellations relate to each other etc...

It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux (if you are a strange geek like me...).

You can find it here: http://www.stellarium.org/

Happy star hunting!

Curse you, Skywatcher... 'tis a merciless, insidious, plague you have inflicted upon us all!

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    woah!! how cool is that, thanks

unfortunately my lot don't seem to share my enthusiasm

Post Thanks / Like
    wow that does look cool, off to download!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    :-)

I have found it ideal for planning where to look... once you have set you location, it will show you whats up there from your location. You can also move back and forth in time and see where there stars would be at that time...

So pick a time you want to go out, and use this software to give you an idea of what you might see and where to look :-)

It's definatley a cool bit of software!

... 'nuff said

Post Thanks / Like
    I use this in my classroom nearly every day :D

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are really interested there is a whole host of freeware avaliable for astronomy it is the major plus side of being into a hobby

there are also wicked websites like this

http://www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/index.shtml if you hver your mouse over each crater it tells you the size and name

to help you find yor way around the moon

all the image capturing, guiding and processing software is avaliable free as well wheras in some hobbies people would think nothing of charging hundreds of pounds.

Anyone is welcome to come and have a look at my stuff and if you can manage it on a clear night so much the better

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for those links!

I remember using a site a few years back when my eldest was studying Space - it had 3D models you and you could enter spacecraft and such like but I have absolutely no idea what it was called!

Youngest is starting to study Space now - how cool! And I still don't know if I'm going to the planetarium with them on their school trip yet :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and BTW although the stellaroium software is cool it still takes sometime bfore you really get to know your way around don't worry if you feel lost it took me at least 18 months before I could reliably pick stuff out - best to start with 2-3 major constellations and 'star hop' _ i have to say if you are in a light polluted area it does make it all the trickier as some of the shapes are amade up of feint stars

this month start with Orion to the south at 9-10 pm and the Plough to the north which will have its handle pointing down and cassiopea tgo the northwest which looks like a w or currently an E