Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social worker update

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the transitional social worker came today (not adult social worker, more on this in a mo). She will be here to guide us through the whole process from children's srvices to adult. I asked who will be our adult social worker and apparently we wont actually get one. If we need help in the future we will need to phone and they will send someone here (who will not know us at all ) that will try and help what ever it is we need .
    Beth will have to have a lot of reassesments in the next few months. They will be,
    1 Her finances to see if she has lots and lots of money to help pay for her care needs.
    2 Her mental capacity to see if she is able to make decissions herself and if not she will be appointed someone who will speak for her . My concerns here are that if she needed further corrective surgery that none of us want her to have anymore, then someone else who does not know her history will stick their noeses in and go against us. I have told her i will not be well pleased over this, and directed her to proffesional that know her really well so she has an insight into her past history.
    3 They will look at her direct payments and ilf but she has said she she will be telling them she still needs them. Let's hope they all agree.
    4 Respite services. She will try to find another respite home for her but has promised us she can not guarantee anything as there is not much around. I asked what will happen then and she said we will worry about it when the time comes, easy for her to say.

She is not the dragon i was lead to believe she was but i am not going to think everything will go smoothly as i am not that stupid. It will save me from not being to upset or depressed if things do not go to well.
    I do feel it is going to be a very hard trying year and am just glad we have light at the end of the tunnel with our upcoming holiday.

Oh one last remark she needs hearing aids but for some silly reason did not wear them, so kept asking for me to repeat myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, your journey has begun. I don't think I'd much like someone making decisions for my adult child other than me, so that will be hard to adjust to. I wonder if you can be the person who is the healthcare surrogate? Is Beth able to make decisions for herself? If so, then could she appoint you as her healthcare surrogate so a stranger doesn't end up involved in your personal lives?

I have a feeling it's going to be a long year for you, Mainecoon Lover, so hold on tight!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update, Michelle. I wish you lots of luck that everything works out for you over the year ahead. Stay strong.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    There is always some hurdle that has to be climbed huh? Wish it was different for you Michelle but I have every confidence you are equipped to handle it as best you can because of the huge love you have for Beth. Good luck for the coming months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Michelle. I hope in the upcoming months before Beth reaches 18 that you have been able to put together an adequate care plan that meets all your needs and covers Beth into adulthood.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 95310
    2 Her mental capacity to see if she is able to make decissions herself and if not she will be appointed someone who will speak for her . My concerns here are that if she needed further corrective surgery that none of us want her to have anymore, then someone else who does not know her history will stick their noeses in and go against us. I have told her i will not be well pleased over this, and directed her to proffesional that know her really well so she has an insight into her past history.

Michelle i have done some training on the new Mental capacity act and you may find these links helpful, it really is imo a better system than before for the person, more difficult for the professional but allows choice and the best interests of the person to be heard- not what the professional thinks is in the best interests of the person.

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/secti...17&docid=64900

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publications...tin/DH_4108436

if you have any questions just ask

Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing you lots of luck for the coming months for everything to go as smoothly as possible and that you are as happy as you can be with the final outcome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, Michelle!

Hope things go as smoothly as possible for all of you. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle i fully sympathise with you hon, my DS is an adult and the 4 social workers he`s had since his accident have been no use whatsoever, I am Billy`s appointee to help with his benefits etc. you could become Beth`s power of attorney think this has to go through a lawyer, I help Billy to make all his decisions as he just agrees with everyone otherwise, I had to find a respite unit for him some years ago, as the places they wanted him to go to werent suitable, they told me they were too expensive but i stood my ground and got him in to the place, i do all the ground work for the sw as i know it gets done then, every now and then they try to interfere but i just wont have it, we`ve had to fight for all he has and i wont allow them to mess it up, i know it gets exteremely hard at times but i always get the strength from somewhere, you know if you need to vent or anything, im always here for you as are the others
    Love Jacqui xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast