Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plane Down

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly remarkable pilot. This could have been unthinkable with such a close proximity
    to Manhattan. Thank God that everybody is here to see another day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 95635
    I just looked at all the pictures and am just awed at the capability of that pilot. He should truly be commended.
    I so agree - isn't it incredible. How wonderful to hear a happy ending for a change.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was so very scary! Looks like we have a very happy ending though..it could have been so much worse!!

A++++ for the pilot who made all the right decisions!

I asked why they don't just put mesh on to keep the birds out, but Dh said that it would ice up and cause the same trouble. Seems like a simple thing to fix, but I guess it isn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, Captain Sullenberger! It seems he also went through the plane twice to ensure everyone was off. What a guy!
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is a very complex problem apparently. There is something to do with the amount of air that is drawn in (and the high speed at which it is drawn in) that also interferes with putting any sort of screen over the engine intake area.

I still think that if we can put a man on the moon (UH OH!!! Now I'm sounding like my Gram!!! ) we should be able to come up with a way to keep birds from being sucked into jet engines!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 95771
    Yes, it is a very complex problem apparently. There is something to do with the amount of air that is drawn in (and the high speed at which it is drawn in) that also interferes with putting any sort of screen over the engine intake area.

I still think that if we can put a man on the moon (UH OH!!! Now I'm sounding like my Gram!!! ) we should be able to come up with a way to keep birds from being sucked into jet engines!
    Well that was my thought. I mean that happens all the time..don't they think something should have been done about it by now. I'll take a few less peanuts if they keep birds from taking the plane down

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got this quote from the article on MSNBC and it made tears come to my eyes....

"Some passengers prayed. Vallie Collins, 37, tapped out a text message to her husband, Steve: "My plane is crashing." For a desperate half-hour, he was unable to get in touch with her to learn that she had survived."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 95790
    I just got this quote from the article on MSNBC and it made tears come to my eyes....

"Some passengers prayed. Vallie Collins, 37, tapped out a text message to her husband, Steve: "My plane is crashing." For a desperate half-hour, he was unable to get in touch with her to learn that she had survived."

oh G-d, what that poor man must have gone through.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were in the city last night when the reports started rolling in...the silence was almost deafening...and when they announced the cause, the collective "sigh" could almost be heard 'round the world.

Well done "Sully" you give pilots a good name, man.

It was interesting to see security detail bumped up until the cause was confirmed. We stepped off the train at Grand Central to find our friendly machine gun holding security team in full riot gear. A bit disquieting at the best of times, but moreso as it was cold and they were all wearing full face coverings, so all you could see were their eyes.

*sigh*

Post Thanks / Like
    Better to be safe than sorry. Sounds like an well oiled machine, you know. Something happens and bam, they go to work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast