Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baby showers

Post Thanks / Like
    I am hosting a baby shower for a close friend at work in just over a month's time, we brits don't tend to do them but they're becoming more popular and i've only ever been to one. Can anyone give me any ideas for themes/food/games etc please

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    We, at my DDIL's baby shower they played a game where a handful of small safety pins were dropped into a bowl of rice. Each person took turns being blindfolded and given a set amount of time to find as many pins as possible - and, believe it or not - it wasn't that easy!

Another game involved giving each guest a ribbon with a small "pacifier" dangling from it to wear around her neck. Everyone was warned not to say some word or phrase (like baby or "mommy"). The first one to hear someone say the forbidden word got to take the ribbon from that person. At the end of the party, the person with the most ribbons wins a door prize.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have attended numerous baby showers, and I have to say one of the SWEETEST activities we ever played was at a shower for my cousin who had triplets.

As you entered (or exited) the shower, the hostess had a makeshift "laundry line" strung across one corner of the room with a pail of disposable diapers (newborn size of the mother's choice), sharpie markers of various colors, and clothespins. Each guest had an opportunity to script a little message across a diaper and hang them from the laundry line. Encourage your guests to write whatever they want to write, a funny message to mom or dad, advice for the new baby, little lines of encouragement...whatever...

Shelly (my cousin) said that in the weeks following the births of the babies, she got the biggest kick out of grabbing a diaper and reading the message on it while changing the baby.

Since then, I've done this at every baby shower I've hosted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me see..I have done showers for the Mommy who HATED shower games to the Mommy who wanted to play every game ever invented. I guess it would depend on what type of Mommy this one is

If you know the sex of the baby that is a good place to start, or maybe what they want for the room. We didn't know with Katelyn, but she had a Winnie the Pooh nursary, so that was my shower theme.

Get a really nice memory book (think wedding guest book), and have everyone write a nice message for Mom and Baby. Those are wonderful to look back on.

Freeze big brightly colored beads into ice cubes and put them in all the water glasses. Have people call out that their water broke when the bead falls to the bottom of the glass. The first few get a prize.

I did one shower were each guest brought a frozen meal for the family along with the recipe and anything that might be needed to make it. We stocked their freezer and the family was all set for the first few weeks after baby came.

Well this could go on and on. I like putting showers together, can you tell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 96250
    I did one shower were each guest brought a frozen meal for the family along with the recipe and anything that might be needed to make it. We stocked their freezer and the family was all set for the first few weeks after baby came.
    I truly *love* this idea!!!

Another game I recall involved different chocolate bars mushed and smeared into diapers and passed around for guests to guess what chocolate it was...it did NOT look appealing...but it was cute. I have a photo of my grandmother with her nose centimeters away from the inside of a diaper smelling a crushed up, smushed up snickers bar...but you couldn't tell it from the photo!

Post Thanks / Like
    i love the diapers idea, i don't know how she would feel about games.

I think we're going to get a big basket and get people to bring in stuff to put in it.

I'm so excited, i love babies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 96252
    I truly *love* this idea!!!

Another game I recall involved different chocolate bars mushed and smeared into diapers and passed around for guests to guess what chocolate it was...
    They did something similar at my daughter's baby shower - except, instead of chocolate, they smeared various types of baby food in the diaper. Looked pretty realistic... Personally I thought it was a waste of both baby food and disposable diapers - AND they smelled NASTY! LOL Now, if you used cloth diapers which can be washed) - but NOT chocolate (why waste perfectly good chocolate?), this can be a cute game. Just don't make me sniff, tho!!! LOL
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, the big thing I've heard and seen involving baby showers is the "diaper cake". You make a cake out of disposable diapers. Decorate it with useful baby items. After the party "mommy" can take it apart and use the diapers when baby arrives.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I need a belated baby shower - especially the filling the freezer idea :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 96356
    I think I need a belated baby shower - especially the filling the freezer idea :D
    i'll throw you a puppy shower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast