Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Trip Report for Jan. '09: The Parks

Post Thanks / Like
    Now lets talk fun stuff! The Parks!!

This was one of the least crowded trips we've had in a very long time. Ok, so the weather was very cold. Very, very cold on some days. But I'd much rather be a little chilly than having a heat stroke! It does cut out some swim time but if it also cuts out the crowds then I can give up swimming.....easily!

Our first park we went to was MK. There were so many marathon people everywhere that day that I was pretty bummed thinking how crowded the parks were going to be. We arrived at probably 10am & the crowd going in was massive. We almost turned around & left to go to another park! I'm so glad we didn't because the park was really not bad at all once we got inside. I guess everyone had just decided to go in at the same time, lol.

Most rides we were able to get on with a 10 minute wait at most. The only ones that were longer were Peter Pan & Snow White. Those were at 30 minutes for some reason. Everything else was great tho! This was also the EMH night for MK so we went back to the room (I napped!) & then we went back. It was incredibly dead!! It was the best...we walked on everything. So by 10pm we were already back at the room because we'd done everything we wanted & most of those twice. I love when MK is like this because it just doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. But that feeling when you can walk right onto Dumbo or wave yourself thru for a second ride on Pirates....those are magical feelings indeed!

I do think it odd we only did the one day at MK this time. This is a first. Normally MK is at least 2 days. But we did everything we wanted & the kids were more interested in days at EPCOT. Sure sign my babies are growing up

EPCOT was odd this trip. The crowds in the walkways were not bad at all but then some things, like MIssion Space & Test Track had little to no wait but Maelstrom, the ride in Norway, was out the door! There's never a line for that! It was definitely more crowded in World Showcase than Future World. Maybe due to the Kim Possible thing. Yes! We got to do it! It's funny, I made sucha big deal about trying to figure out how to do this & they had kiosks set up everywhere! You couldn't miss it. Loads of fun guys! You all have to do this, hopefully it will be around for awhile. One of my regrets is that the kids didn't get to do more, they only did Mexico & Norway. I think they said there were 7 countries you could do it in but the thing is you have to re-register at one of the kiosks after you do one mission to get a new phone & a new assignment. So that means a lot of backtracking. But they both got a huge kick out of it. I saw groups of teens, grandparents & preschoolers all doing it.

Also in EPCOT David was picked as one of the 'players' in the UK street show. They did The Holy Grail & David got to play Sir Galahad. It was so funny! I think he was a little embarressed but he really played it up. What was so funny was they picked an older guy to play the king...and when it came to the part where the narrator guy introduced him & he said 'ok now give them a kingly salute', the older guy hesitated oh so briefly & then boldly, with expression, shot everyone the bird!! First there was this awkward silence & then there was a combo of people hysterically laughing (me being one) & people walking off. If i'd had smaller kids I may have been offended but we all looked at each other & just burst out laughing, not what you expect! And the way the street performers handled it was so funny. OH, it was a great moment, hehehe.

Our visit to Hollywood Studios was a great day. Again kind of weird tho...The Great Movie Ride line was out the door & wrapped around the maze to the right of the building yet Tower of Terror was walk right on. We did it 3 times in a row! Not a soul in line; don't think i've ever seen it like that. We fast passed the new Pixar ride & then got in the stand by line because I think everyone needs to go thru it. The most amazing queue area at WDW i think. We didn't do Lights Motor Action & my girls were really bummed (I just don't get it) but we weren't there during a time it was going & we never made it back to do it. It started raining on us & it was obvious it was going to be an all day rain so we endured for awhile & then just made our way back to the resort.

Animal Kingdom. I hadn't been to this park in 2 years. The rest of the family had gone but where I'd been sick the last couple visits I hadn't felt like it, plus AK is not one of my favorites. This time was great tho! Maybe because I hadn't been there in so long. Not crowded at all. YOu will find that's always reason to celebrate in my book! We did Expedition Everest FOUR times straight, lol. The longest we waited was 9 minutes! This is a ride I'd already told myself I'd probably never do again but now that I'm a year out from my surgery I'm starting to feel a little safer, that maybe not everything will hurt me. It was good getting to ride it again with my family We walked straight on the safari too, that has never happened, always a line it seems. And we did the walk right after the safari where you can see the animals, which I'd never done and we also went to Rafiki's Planet Watch for the first time ever. It was really cute but by the time we got there it was almost park closing time. Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket & Pocahontas were all in the main building & there wasn't hardly a soul around so they really played it up with my kids. It made me smile. I wish we'd had more time to spend there.

Downtown Disney was so refreshing this time because 1) you guessed it, NOT CROWDED! hehe & 2) not 110 degrees. It always seems hot at DTD to me, lol, but not this time (quite chilly actually). So shopping was enjoyable this time without feeling a heat stroke coming on or having so many people in the stores you can't look at a thing.

Well, that's it folks. I hope my reports have not been too long or too boring. I figured I would try to lump it all into a couple posts rather than doing one every day. It's been fun reliving it with you all
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww Honey Im so glad you had a great time!

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love your reports! You certainly sound like you had a great time. I am so glad you got a chance to see how nice AK can be. It's my second favorite park after EPCOT.

Snow White and Peter Pan are always busy. Not sure what the huge attraction is other than they are cute, but they sure are popular. Winnie the Pooh is too, and quite often Dumbo.

I saw the Kim Possible stuff today. Don't know a think about that other than it's Disney, so I didn't stop to check out any of it. Didn't seem to be too busy, that's for sure (although EPCOT was startlingly busy today). The areas with the computer screens were completely empty with only CMs there.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I never really saw any crowds around the kiosks, just saw lots with the cell phones. And heard a lot of the Kim Possible beep-beep-be-beep sounds coming from all directions, lol.

I forgot to add to my report that Paige woke up on check out day at 4:30 in the morning throwing up. She proceeded to throw up every 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Finally at 8am I called front desk to see if we could stay one more night as I didn't think she could make a 14 hour drive like that. I was told that no, we couldn't stay another night & that they had no rooms available (a resort that huge in January!?!?) but they were kind enough to say they could extend our check out time from 11am to noon. Whoo-hoo! So we talked to housekeeping & they let us have a small plastic trash can & a roll of liners & we just took off for home & hoped for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh, the poor kid. How did she make the trip home? OK?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    OH it was pitiful, poor thing. I took back seat in the van duty with her because I knew Courtney wouldn't be of any help, lol. She only got sick 4 more times (but let me tell you, tying up those bags was NOT a highlight of my trip! She kept apologizing to me for having to do it! I just told her that's part of a mom's job. But then the sick stomach passed & she slept for nearly the entire 14 hour drive! She didn't eat anything the whole day. She seems to be at 100% Paige today tho Thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez. What a miserable trip home for her and you! My sister used to get car sick every single time we went on a trip. I know that's not what was going on here, but it's kind of the same. Not fun at all being ill in a car.

Plus, being winter...just adds to the misery, eh? Good to know she's feeling better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw, well thanks for your concern sweety. I'm glad to be home in case any of the rest of us catch it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh! I hope not!

My brother's SO's son is just now recovering from 12 days of a nasty mean bout of something like that (both ends).

Kid nearly ended up in the hospital (can't remember how old he is exactly, but he's a teen).

His Mother thinks it has a connection to food poisoning though.

Anyway, I sure hope the rest of you don't get it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya know, a friend mentioned food poisoning today & I hadn't thought of that. But ya know, our meal for dinner the night she got sick was at Denny's so who knows!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast