Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Events of the Inauguration of President Barack Obama

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lump in my throat when I saw the inaugation!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a very moving ceremony - kind of like New Year's Eve. In with the new and out with the old. Tomorrow is unknown and a bit scary and exciting.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    What a gloriously incredible day. I, of course had to work all day and didn't get to see or hear anything live, but did have a long drive home so was able to listen to President Obama's speech in full (and detailed descriptions of it all). Am now watching the television.

I remember Jimmy and Rosalind Carter walking up Pennsylvania Avenue one bitter cold January day too. He broke with tradition and went bareheaded. I see the new tradition continues. :D

I thought President Obama struck a realistic note, and did not let us get too mired down in jubilation of the moment. Yes, it's a glorious day, but we've got enough work to do as a nation to make that alone a very sobering realization.

I believe the outpouring of physical presence quite says it all. Never has any President commanded such a gathering of people for the inauguration. Never.

Teddy Kennedy looked like the G-dfather! No disrespect meant. I think it was the fedora. He had a ten minute long seizure, poor man. That he could be there at all was significant.

I am awed at the responses from all over the globe. The little village in Kenya in particular, eh? Talk about high expectations!

The Inaugural Balls are again, tradition. They have changed much over the years when they used to be high formal elaborate affairs. Now they are essentially "dances" with a buffet.

Was Aretha something or WHAT!!!??? That hat was incredible! LOL.

I didn't notice the VP wife's boots. Were they mukluks or something?

So, here we go. Too much for one man to do, and a nation that needs to get behind him and understand the meaning of what he said. It's time for responsibility all around. Personal, political, financial... no more hoping someone else will do it for you/us. We need to do the work ourselves.

So, goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Bush. May you have peace and contentment in your retirement from the office.

Welcome President Obama and First Lady Obama. May the weight of the journey you have embarked upon not crush you.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 97346
    Question for the US people - how much of the celebration do you feel is because Mr Obama is taking over and how much do you feel is due to the outgoing incumbents departure?
    I think it is a little of both. But let's face history was made today. And it wouldn't have mattered had it been Hillary Clinton instead of Barack Obama, or even John McCain. History was going to be made and people wanted to be there to see it. Perhaps a few more because he is the first African American to become president, but history still the same.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    ARETHA!!!!!!!! You are a goddess.

Mrs Biden's boots.

Chief Justice Roberts missing a word.

Benediction. Awesome.

The junior Obamas - also awesome.

:D

Post Thanks / Like
    he's gone woo hoo

oh yes and awesome benediction - also the atheists got a shout out - he's my mian man :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 97552
    I had a lump in my throat when I saw the inaugation!

me too josh infact i got quite emotional
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Skywatcher that President Obama is making it clear that ALL are included in his conscious, is an inescapable fact.

A little surprised that a Chief Justice would flub that way. His face said it all though. He looked panicked there for a flash. President Obama was gracious though, smiling and waiting for him to correct himself.

Didn't see much of the evening festivities, but did see a part of the first dance. President Obama looked like he just wanted to DANCE (and I don't mean the stately pace he seemed to be forcing himself to keep)! :D :D How nerve wracking though! To be the center of that much attention while you are dancing. Ugh. I'd crack under the pressure. :D (And that my Dears is why you'll not ever see President Tink)!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I was bad enough at my wedding.

delighted that the first piee of legislation regards Guananamo Bay - sent a clear message to the rest of the world that the winds of change are building - this must have been released during the festivities as it hit the news here very early

Post Thanks / Like
    President Obama met with his "war council" (my words, not the government's) early this morning (wonder if he was still wearing the tux? :D ). The discussion was to include GTMo Bay and how to safely pull out of Iraq. Although Afghanistan wasn't mentioned, I hope that was included in the talk.

Yes, conventional weddings do feature that "all eyes on you" dance thing don't they?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast