Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Obama Day!

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a comment made on one of the newscasts I was listening to that suggested the Chief Justice deliberately flubbed the lines because President Obama voted against his appointment when he was a senator.

I really hope that's not true. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 98009
    There was a comment made on one of the newscasts I was listening to that suggested the Chief Justice deliberately flubbed the lines because President Obama voted against his appointment when he was a senator.

I really hope that's not true. :(
    I would hope that Justice Roberts didn't do it on purpose also Tink. However, Mr. Obama did vote NO during Justice Roberts' confirmation hearing.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 98006
    And Obama "retook" the oath of office today :D

Just to make it nice and tidy
    Apparently without the bible to swear on though. Some are saying he may need to do it for a third time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Must say, I would be surprised to learn that is even "mandatory"....what if you're an atheist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I doubt seriously that one would be elected president in this country if they were vocal about being an atheist.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember one of the many interesting facts from "the day" - one president did not swear on the bible but on a law book.

Just looked it up:

Records kept by the Architect of the Capitol suggest only one president in the 216 years since Washington was inaugurated did not take the oath of office with one hand on a Bible. Franklin Pierce, the 14th president, "affirmed"-- but did not "swear" -- his oath with one hand on a law book, instead of a Bible. Some historical records say Pierce did so because of a crisis of faith after his only remaining child, an 11-year-old boy, was killed in a train accident a few weeks before the inauguration.

So I guess it isn't mandatory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing in the Constitution about taking the oath with a bible present.

Post Thanks / Like
    As well there shouldn't be. It should be a matter of choice. Some very devout people won't "swear" to G-d or on a bible, believing that is sacrilegious.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking...I know that the phrase "So help me God" is not a part of the constitutional oath...and I didn't think the bible was a mandatory bit either...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, guys thumbs up or down on the release of some terrorists( 9/11) and the removal of others being brought to the US . Scary Thought !

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast