Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's at celebration?

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it there because it is so sterile

It does look a bit 'Stepford Wives' but I love those houses

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it was built by Disney so I imagine it's got to be quite Disneyfied which is completely why I am fascinated by it. Houses are quite costly there if my memory of searching online years ago serves me right. It's a place I have wanted to at least cruise thru for years & never seem to get around to it.
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    It was originally Disney built and organized, but for anyone who chose to (and who could afford to and would live by the extensive association rules) live there, not just employees.

There was a real scandal a few years ago when some of the most expensive homes there saw their wood working (door jambs, window sills, and the like) disintegrating. It seems the high priced builder had used a heavy grade CARDBOARD intstead of wood!! Lots of lawsuits...

The Disney corp turned the place over the residents a couple of years ago. The housing authority that governs the place is wicked restrictive. You can't have a pick up truck. You can't have your childrens toys in the yard, no bikes, no wagons, no balls, no badmitton nets, etc. Nothing. No clothes lines as they are things of the devil. I can't remember them all, but there sure are tons of them. Oh, yeah only certain types of outdoor decorations can be used (and only during approved holidays...).

It's not really small town America. It is an aritificial construct. Small town America has a sense of community and at least some diversity. You don't see that there. It's more of a curiosity.

We looked at an apartment there when we first came to this area. We were so disappointed! We thought it might be fun to live there for a year or so, but the apartment was really ugly. We found much more for much less over by Metro West.

Needless to say, we aren't fans of the place, but do go over when we have interest in an event they may be having.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow! Can you imagine paying what these people did for the houses to find out the builder cut corners in a major cheapskate way! That's awful. I can remember that basically, when I looked up property, that we could afford a 2BR apt. for what we paid for our 5BR house, lol. Of course, we are in WV & this is in Celebration..location location location. But still. As much as I think it would be cool to live there, couldn't downsize that much, hehe.
    I knew Disney had sold it a few years back. I wondered if it would affect it adversely or not. I can only imagine how crazy strict their ordinances are.
    I'd never heard that it was built for employees before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, sticker shock is massive, isn't it? When we left the northeast we sold our 11 room house (over a hundred years old) for forty five thousand dollars. AND, we were happy to see it go! Imagine our utter shock when we got down here and found out we couldn't buy a trailer for that!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The absolute biggest sticker shock I have ever had in my life was when we went to Southern California. I picked up house for sale guides just for fun but was shocked by what i saw. Absolute dumps were $200,000 & up. I think we decided for what we could get out of our house we could possibly afford a trailer. Possibly. Of course this was in Laguna Beach

Post Thanks / Like
    You cant have a pick up truck?

What the hell is that about?

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not and park it in your driveway. You'd croak at all the restrictions, Sarah. I thought our HOA was bad, but that one is totally over the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    When we were looking at houses my favorite restriction was your garage door could only be open during garbage pick-up day & it was between a certain hour. One hour, once a week & that was it. When my kids were younger & played outside more that's how they'd go out, thru the garage. And they'd keep it up because all their toys & bikes & sidewalk chalk & stuff was in the garage. So that rule would have been a tough one for us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder, post: 97601
    The absolute biggest sticker shock I have ever had in my life was when we went to Southern California. I picked up house for sale guides just for fun but was shocked by what i saw. Absolute dumps were $200,000 & up. I think we decided for what we could get out of our house we could possibly afford a trailer. Possibly. Of course this was in Laguna Beach
    as a thick english man can you please tell me what "sticker shock" is

oh and at christmas they have snow machines in celebration
    steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast