Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for bad knees

Post Thanks / Like
    I have osteo arthritis in both of my knees. I am not on any medication. It's not bad enough for all of that. Actually, it only bothers me when it's cold out. Which means it is bothering me now. I asked my dr what I should do instead of taking meds. She said to walk a lot (which I do and the knees feel better the more I walk but I can't walk all the time). She also said I should do water aerobics.....however that involves getting into a bathing suit in public .

I have been taking Tylenol Athritis when it's bad and sometimes using one of those creams (Aspercreme, Icy Hot, whatever).

Short of moving to a tropical island to alleviate this problem and taking a prescription med that I don't really need, do you have any helpful advice?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    ahh ayup..pretty much what I am going thru (my knees dont hurt nearly as bad as my hips right now though...

Walking in tropical weather is the only thing thats gonna work...wanna move with me?

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Water exercise is good. And keeping weight at a healthy level helps - the less weight your joints support the better for them. Strengthen the thigh muscles too - that will help support the knee joints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can your other half give you piggy backs everywhere... like around town and stuff? ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    glucosamine is very good for joint pain, don't know if it's called the same over there

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is called the same over here...

I take glucosamine, I have VERY well developed Quad muscles (the one that goes over the knee)

Also when I weighed 125 my knees still bothered me when it was cold and I was MUCH younger..

When its THAT cold there is nothing in the world that can help...ya just gotta get thru it.

LOL my Dr just told me all this stuff last week. She also told me to put my knee brace back on..I told her...why so I can loose muscle mass in my knee because Im counting on that brace to do all the work? No, thank you very much.

Also she told me that she is going to do the sterios injections again. I told her that contributed to my weight gain last time..and if I gain more weight that wont help my issue. Sigh. You cant have one without the other.

Just another month or so of cold weather johnie then we are in the free and clear til next year!

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    my Ds suffers badly with it in both knees, had it since he was 12 years old, ( now 24), he's been on all srots of meds for it, help to ease the pain and discomfort, he's had to pack in sports, played football, then cricket, getting hit on the knee with a cricket wasn't good.

he now has to have an injection of Humira every couple of months.

the only time he really felt at ease, was when he spent 12 months in australia, hotter weather eased the condition for him.

so guess its meds or moving to hotter climates
    Dave and Lesley xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Right there with you, Johnie. Except it's primarily my left knee. And a few other muscles/joints.

Walking and water aerobics are great.

I've also found using the Pilates platform helpful to work through pain. The other advantage is that you're also working your core muscles--and a few others--at the same time!

When you're doing basic leg work on the platform, you're lying on your back and your body is properly aligned. Resistance cords control the amount of pressure on various parts of the body--different areas are affected differently by the same resistance.

I have one of the first home-use Pilates platforms, so I just have the foot bar, no rebounder. Although the rebounder is great for cardio workouts, I wouldn't recommend using it when working through pain. You need the gentler resistance of the foot bar--it's stationary. And the original system of Pilates exercises was developed to assist dancers in recovering from injuries. :)

PA, I completely understand about trading off medications/exercise/rest and weight issues. I used to be very thin--too thin, according to my doctors. After many dancing and skating injuries comounded by auto accidents, I had the same issues that plague me today. The only difference is it takes longer to recover from each new or aggravated injury, and I gain weight each time. I'm still battling back from my quadraceps injuries (both legs simultaneously) in December 2007--which, of course, aggravated the left knee and ankle/foot.

I'll get there. I know I will. But it's like the recession--how long will it take?

Post Thanks / Like
    Take Bromelain. Brilliant. Both DH and I couldn't do without it.

I also take glucosamine.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Try keeping your knees warm. Those 80s leg warmers are handy for that. It's one of the reasons we moved to the south. The cold hurts, and hurts a lot! :(

Try not to take Tylenol. It's cleared through the liver and that's not the greatest thing, plus it does nothing for any inflammation that may be present with OA. Try switching to ibuprofen or aleve (naproxene sodium, but I can't spell it ) if your stomach can handle it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast