Thread: space shuttles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to see launches from the disney sites or must we go to the kennedy space centre?

if we do have to go, is there enough there to spend a whole day ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthemansion, post: 100738
    Is it possible to see launches from the disney sites or must we go to the kennedy space centre?

if we do have to go, is there enough there to spend a whole day ???
    It's certainly possible to see the shuttle from anywhere in central Florida as long as the weather's clear. As a child growing up on Florida's Gulf Coast (St. Petersburg), we used to go outside in elementary school and watch the Mercury launches. Of course, the closer you are, the better the view.

If you decide to go to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor complex, there's more than enough to do there for a whole day. If you're interested, here's a trip report that our own Slowhand did for his Astronaut Experience at KSC.

Here's the link to the KSC Vistors Complex with complete information on what's available there.

Tom (who actually remembers Sputnik... sigh)

Post Thanks / Like
    You would be able to see a launch from the Orlando area [if you know in what direction to look! ], however by the time the shuttle passes over the area it will be very high up and you won`t see a lot of detail.
    The roads to KSC get VERY crowded on launch days and it`s a long way to travel only to find that the launch has been delayed for one reason or another!
    On the other hand, KSC is well worth a visit and there is more than enough to keep you occupied for a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    we saw a launch from our hotel on idrive everyone was outside cheering and we had it on the tv it was a bit strange hearing the comentary and seeing it rise and watching the pods release its an awsome sight

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see the launches from the Orlando area if the weather conditions are right. You can even get a decent view from the parks, but nothing beats the experience of being up close (well as close as they will allow).
    ~ don't you just love smilies & tickers ~

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched a shuttle launch while sitting in a taxi going along I Drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    My best experience was when I watched a shuttle launch when we were staying at our villa in Davenport.
    I watched the build up live on the NASA channel and then as soon as the shuttle had cleared the tower I saw it soaring up in the sky. Sadly there was no noise coming from it so it seemed a bit surreal.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've seen two launches - the first from MK, we watched as the shuttle took off over the Castle. It was clearly the space shuttle, but as for the photos - you have to know what you are looking at
    The second we watched the build up in our room on the TV and then dashed outside to watch from the car park on I-Drive.
    I would love to watch from nearer, but it is a gamble. The roads are very busy and sometimes with minutes to spare, take off can be cancelled, so you could be "trapped" near KSC for no real reason.
    KSC itself is busy on launch days and some areas are out of bounds for obvious reasons.
    Team Harris
    1st visit Sept 87 Off Site 2nd visit Oct 89 Off Site
    3rd visit Oct 90 Royal Plaza 4th visit Oct 91 Off Site
    5th visit Oct 92 Off Site 6th visit May 97 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)7th visit Oct 03 Off site 8th visit Aug 04 Disneyland Paris (off site)9th visit Feb 06 Davy Crocket 10th visit Aug 07 Pop Century 11th visit Aug 09 OKW

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sooo jealous - I love KSC don't always understand everything but i just love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same with us here, Slowhand. We can see the launch from our home (best view is guestroom on second floor).

The night launch is the best. The entire horizon glows as if it is about to burst into flame and then the shuttle comes streaking through the sky. We usually have the commentary on the television as well.

The day launch is a bit less dramatic but it's still quite impressive!

I can only add my voice to how absolutely jammed all the roads to the east coast get on launch day! And yes, there is nothing unusual at all about it being canceled and rescheduled for a later date.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle