Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's here! For our non-US residents, it's the "big" day for gridiron football. This year's Super Bowl is in Tampa, and features the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals. (Gooooooo, Cardies! :D :D ). Neither of which is "our" team, but what the heck!

One of the things that has evolved out of the "game" is a Super Bowl Party. Some folks have them at home, some folks attend them at local pubs/bars, ect.

We are staying home (real surprise there,eh) and will have our own party for two. :D I'm not a huge football fan, but Herself is and has been since a young kid.

I do the party bit. :D :D

So! We will be having for our Super Bowl Party:

A small selection of French Cheese and Irish Cashel Bleu
    A small selection of Olives (French, Moroccan, and Spanish)
    A small selection of three cured meats (two artisinal salami types, and a bit of prosciutto)
    Cornichon
    Whole wheat naan, and whole wheat soft tortilla (to replace the dangerous bread!)
    Oysters Rockefeller
    Broiled lobster tail (Hey! They were on sale)! :D
    Chicken breast "tenders" done in a "Buffalo style" to keep with the "tradition" of Super Bowl...
    A small pate (mixed)
    Pistachio nuts for crunch... (to replace the chips and pretzels of more traditional gatherings).
    A particular blanc de blanc that I love...

The menu changed and evolved throughout the days leading up to the game. At one time I was going to do individual Beef Wellingtons but switched to a more seafood based theme...

So! What are you doing? Anything? Are you having a party, if only for yourselves?

Share!!!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We're having our own little party for two here as well!!!

We've spent the entire week mulling over "health friendly" treats that we can indulge in during the game....

Here's what we've come up with so far...

Roasted Red Pepper Dip w/ veggies (red bell, green bell, carrots, celery)
    Shrimp - Old Bay Steamed, Cold w/ cocktail sauce
    Spinach/Artichoke Dip - Variations on a theme here, modified to be a bit healthier...again with massive veggies
    We also have those Quaker Popped Treats (Ranch, Cheddar, Caramel) and Barry's Bakery's Twists (1 point each and they are TASTY!)
    A lovely bottle of wine and perhaps a martini

The kids have requested pulled pork...so I'm indulging them :D

Now, we're also trying a variation of buffalo tenders...any tips/hints/tricks? I'm sort of "winging" it here, so any help would be much appreciated :D

GO CARDINALS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    WHOOOOHOOOOO! Another Cardie fan! :D :D Well, at least for this super bowl, eh? :D :D

I'll marinate the chicken tenders in ff buttermilk, hot sauce and a dash of vinegar. Then, I'll bake them (basting with a bit of the marinade) until tender and serve with ff bleu cheese dressing (a yogurt based bleu cheese dressing). Does that help? You could put a bit of panko on the tenders to bake them, for crispyness...but we avoid bread in any way we can, so I'm not doing that.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm big on avoiding breads as well, hence the baking...

I'm starting with hot sauce, paprika, ground red pepper...hadn't considered the vinegar and buttermilk...but I like the idea...

I haven't found a FF dressing I enjoy, so I'm splurging for the full fat...I'll keep looking though...

Thanks for the advice!! I can't wait to try them out!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to be gorging myself on pizza, nachos, etc., however, I will just sit back and think about the wonderfully greasy, salty foods. :D

However, you both sound like you are going to have fantastic foods!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok foodies....this is what we've got so far...

• Tenders are marinating (added the vinegar, but didn't have the buttermilk, do you think it'll matter?)
    • Spinach/Artichoke Dip made and ready to go in the oven (after we made it, we found it tasted REALLY yummy cold too, so we saved a bit out for dip...
    • TONS of veggies cut up
    • Shrimp boiled and chilling (OOPS! Forgot the beer, and as we've not been keeping it in the house and I can't go buy any, we'll go with peel 'n eat only today)
    • Roasted red pepper dip ready to go...SPICY!
    • And since the kitchen was already a DISASTER, we thought we'd give the Salmon Cakes w/ Red Pepper Mayonnaise a try as well :D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! FD, wanna come over and help us eat all this food?

Post Thanks / Like
    yumm!

Tink.. can I come over???

seriously... your menu sounds DELICIOUS!

and I never thought you could make superbowl sunday about anything else than football.. but you just did! and now Im hungry!!! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    And I don't have to watch it!!!!!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well of course I do, let me just pack my drinks. I'm bringing Diet Coke and Vodka. :)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Becca I so want to join your party!

Just think, 2 years ago Gareth and I were at luvthemouse's for Superbowl Sunday! Wish I had some good pictures but they're all blurry!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast