Thread: uk immigration

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just watching 'The Sunday Night Project' and Martin Sheen has just said he's been arrested 67 times - why is he allowed to come to the UK then? If we were arrested we'd be a questionable (can't think of the word I'm looking for here!) if we wanted to visit the US.

Sorry, not having a go - just shocked at his comment

Post Thanks / Like
    yep, he's been very politically active

I dont have any problem with the guy nor with him visiting the UK but you're right, if it were you or I going to the states, we'd have trouble
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 101874
    yep, he's been very politically active

I dont have any problem with the guy nor with him visiting the UK but you're right, if it were you or I going to the states, we'd have trouble

no i don't have a problem with him either Keith, the unfairness of it hit me though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 101875
    no i don't have a problem with him either Keith, the unfairness of it hit me though.
    yep I can't disagree :( It's always felt to me as if UK folks get a harder time wherever we go, even coming back into our own country!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It's because we are not paranoid in the way the US is.
    They've been like it for over 200 years; not going to change any time soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought after i switched the computer off - we'd be an undesirable, not a questionable something or other!

my uncle went to i dunno Greece or something many years ago with his Irish passport after living in the UK for almost his entire life and was 'almost' refused entry on his way back home! He's still here now though....crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is daft. Perhaps we should treat people from the US as we are treated there, the same for all other countries, the same rules that apply to us going there should apply to them coming here!. Charge Turks 10 to get into the UK etc!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to pay a quarter to get out of Mexico once. Often wonder what would have happened if I'd refused to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend who went to live in the USA had to undergo all sorts of things before she was allowed to move there... she even had to have a doctors letter confirming she'd had certain jabs before she was allowed in. My DH didn't have one tenth of the grief she had coming this way in. I do think immigrants should be fully vaccinated before they are allowed to settle here. TB has made a come back here because of immigrants FACT.
    I must state though that he did not get the same welcome mat because he was coming from a non EU country. We had to pay an entry tax which was quite hefty and when his visa was made into a permanent one we had to pay another entry tax. EU immigrants don't have to do this... plus my DH was not allowed to claim any benefits for the first three years and so he shouldn't be able to I agree and wasn't allowed to study here for the first three years... that one I don't understand, but the rules are different for Americans coming here than for EU migrants.