Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part-time job

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been pondering the thought of getting a part-time job. Something not very stressful and something close to home. I found a night bank position that basically is just paper work related. I have worked in banking before. It's a 3am-9am position, but in the same town I live in and it's only 24 hours a week.

I'm not sure it's something I should get into as I'm a full time graduate student and will be starting a practicum (later summer, fall time). However, I know that others do it. (Yes, I know, I would not jump off the bridge if they choose to jump off the bridge).

I guess I would like some money. I'm just looking for some opinions on the idea. Good, bad or indifferent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am the type of person who needs lots of things on my plate in order to thrive. Stress must be my middle name I swear I would totally take the part time job. Will you be able to continue your studies as well?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    The studies are number one priority, so I would have alter everything around them. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have some money to maybe save for a thing or two that I want. And it's only 24 hours out of the entire week. I enjoy banking as it's mindless work for me. This would be something I've never done, but since it's so close I thought I might look into it. I thought about calling someone tomorrow to ask about the position.

I haven't had a job in graduate school, so I guess that's why I'm a little cautious. It would definitely force me to focus on setting priorities, not that I do anything but school now.

Post Thanks / Like
    As with any job, if it doesn't work for you then you give notice and they find someone else. You might find it motivates you

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking. Of course I would have to get use to those hours, they're insane.

I think I'm going to call tomorrow. Like I said, it needs to be really local...preferably outside my front door. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked the graveyard shift back when I was in undergrad. I LOVED it. I am truly a night owl so the hours were great. I also didn't need to pay a baby sitter which was nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    And see I'm a morning person, so during the summer days I'm up around 530. This would be getting close to when I would normally be getting up. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input Johnie, I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a problem!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm...well, I like having money as much as the next person.

I would say give it a try for a month, and see how it goes with you physically and academically. The hours would kill me, but you are young and strong. :D

Be very careful of one thing. I once had a fairly long period in my life where I slept only between the hours of three am and six am. It's been a problem for me ever since. I have sleep issues to begin with, but those old problems are part of it.

Just be careful that you aren't introducing something into your circadian rhythm that you will be stuck with for the rest of your life.

And of course, if it interferes with your concentration on your studies, you'll give it up.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast