Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Officially you don't have to leave a tip... from the horses mouth... Mousekeeping is a non tipped position and get paid accordingly, at least the Floridian non tipped minimum wage of $7.21 rather than the tipped minimum wage of $4.17.

Apparently the CM's are not supposed to accept a tip either, and they can refuse three times then they'll probably take it. Some will and some won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I have been telling people for years. Mousekeeping makes $8 an hour to start.

Tipping in hotels around here is not a common occurence.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I've known that forever too. Thanks for posting it Helly. It's important for our members to know that tipping a housekeeper (at any resort) is purely a matter of choice, and not an issue of the person paying taxes on an "expected amount of tip" as it is with servers in restaurants.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Isnt Tipping a city in China?

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only tipped housekeeping at a disney resort, as it seems to be a common thing...I admit, I have fallen for peer pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tipped because I thought they were on extremely low wages and didn't know any better. I just think that for some people like single parents who struggle to get their family to WDW they might like to know this. Because we allowed for it in our budget but they might not be able to afford it and to not feel bad if they can't. By all means still tip if you feel like you want to for good service. Apparently the money has to be in a marked envelope or they are not allowed to take it, they're not to take money just left on the pillows.

Post Thanks / Like
    We always tip housekeeping because we are really messy and they go the extra mile for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 103443
    We always tip housekeeping because we are really messy and they go the extra mile for us.
    Us too!

I am also really grateful that somebody else is clearing up after my lot for a change

Great piece of advice though Helly - if you are there for a long time it can really add up and nice to know it isn't something you have to do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    $7-8/hour is EXTREMELY low wages. On a 40 hour week that would work out to about $16,000/year which I believe is below poverty level.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    That is true, USCWest. However, by virtue of working at WDW, many of the employees have incentives available to them on their rent and mortgages.

Also, it's not the public's responsibility to supplement the wages of anyone who has a low paying job. The nurse's aids in the ALFs that I inspect work for much the same wage. If anyone deserves a tip, they do. It is unprofessional for them to accept any monetary or gift of any sort though. Same for baggers at Publix. They are not allowed to accept tips.

I personally feel (with the exception of servers) that tipping demeans any given profession or position. And yes, I've worked my fingers to the bone in minumum wage jobs before, so I do know what I'm talking about. I held four part time jobs at once (at one point in my life) just to make minimum ends meet. No tips involved. :)

Eeeeesh. Sorry to get on a soapbox, but tipping in the US has really gotten out of hand, and I honestly feel that it encourages surly service more than it promotes pleasant service. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast