Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quote

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I know this is a bit weird, but I just read this quote and then I read it again. Maybe it's just my frame of mind, but darn if it didn't make me stop and think some pretty serious thoughts.

So, now you tell me what you think about this quote. Do you get it, does it make you uncomfortable, does it make you nod your head, etc. etc. I won't tell you who the quote is from because very few of you would know the author or their works, but if you really want to know I'll tell you.

Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, it's blunt and straight to the point, and it's true.....facts *are* facts. Plain and simple.

All the emotions we feel don't change are darned thing do they, i sometimes think we'd be better off without them - they're too complicated!

Post Thanks / Like
    And see I would have to disagree with the quote, as I believe there is no reality but only perception. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Facts can be seen as someone's perception. That can changed given the person; given the perception. We believe we know "facts" because collectively as a society we tend to have the same perception.

However, it is very interesting to look at what other social constructs deem "fact."

So, agree with the statement? I understand how it can seem sensible, rational, "factual" but I do not agree that it is from an absolute perspective that applies to all thinking beings.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing is real unless it is observed.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think this is where i bow out gracefully......it's already gotten waaaay too deep for my brain!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, well facts may be absolute but how we see them and use them shapes our own reality.

You've guessed that I live in an alternate reality to everyone else, except for Dawn and Skywatcher possibly......

[CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, but observation can be misleading. I would not consider observation to be the test of "truth in fact." :D

I don't see facts as absolute either. Remember, zero was invented to make the whole construct of Math work, so that bases everything from perception.

Ignore me, ok? I'm just going runny mumples with too much to do at work and clearly it is causing my brain to spew irrelevant data. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see facts as absolute either.
    I was thinking along those lines too, but what is a fact? If it's snowing, is that a fact? There is snow on the ground..fact? I love Disney. Now that is a fact. :D

Ignore me, ok? I'm just going runny mumples with too much to do at work and clearly it is causing my brain to spew irrelevant data.
    We'll never ignore you because you are probably the most sensible and informed person on here!
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh MystikPiglit! SO not a fact! But thank you for your sweetness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast