Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to Atlanta!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been saying we were going to go next weekend for months now. Plans have FINALLY been cemented so I shall you give you a brief run down of our itinerary.

Cast:
    Me- loves all things historical
    Alysia-17 loves history as well. Likes to explore new places
    Shannon- 18. Alysia's friend and also loves history.

The reason for the weekend is that I wanted to see the King Tut exhibit. I also found out that the Georgia aquarium has a Titanic exhibit as well.

Then last night I found all sorts of other stuff

Friday, Feb 13th. We're driving to Atlanta after the kidlets get out of school. It's an 8 hour drive per mapquest.

Saturday, Feb 14th. We're going to www.worldofcoca-cola.com
    I also found out that you can tour Margaret Mitchell's apartment and there is a museum. If you don't know who she is, she wrote Gone With the Wind....one of my absolute favorite books and movies!! www.gwtw.org
    I am hoping if we have enough time to go over to Jimmy Carter's presidential library.

Sunday, Feb 15th. We're going to www.kingtut.org there is also a movie. Do you know that is was incredibly cheaper to buy a family 4 pack of tickets than 3 individual tickets?? Seriously. With the family 4 pack, tix were $11.50 each. Tickets by themselves were $32 each.

Monday, Feb 16th. We're going to www.georgiaaquarium.org

Tuesday, Feb 17th. Driving home.

I have no idea where we are going to eat. Anyone been to Atlanta and have any recommendations?

I'm looking forward to this trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 103527
    I have no idea where we are going to eat. Anyone been to Atlanta and have any recommendations?:
    What kind of meals did you have in mind. There are numerous eating establishments in Atlanta.

For instance, if you're looking for the ultimate tourist type experience of southern style cooking, there's Pitty Pats Porch.

Or, there's Daily's and it's sister, the City Grill. Also, for Fondue and Jazz, there's Dante's Down the Hatch or Bones for steaks.

Of course, we've also got our share of the chain type restaurants. Hard Rock Cafe, Houston's, the Cheesecake Factory, etc.

Another one that I enjoy from time to time is the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Just depends on where you're staying and what types of cuisine you're looking for. We've got plenty of choices!

One other thing you may want to consider is Underground Atlanta. It's worth a look see during the day it isn't too far from the other things you've mentioned. Also, Centennial Olympic Park is right across from the Aquarium. Worth a look.

Tom (not your average tour guide)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, forgot one thing. If you're into history, you might want to take in the Cyclorama & Civil War museum. It's a little south of the downtown area at Grant Park next to the Atlanta Zoo.

Tom (forgetting stuff where he lives)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom! I'll take a look at the restaurants you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I would love to see the titanic exhibit and King Tut to boot would top it off . Have Fun, Johnie . Can you take pictures ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think I am allowed to take pictures at the King Tut exhibit. Probably not the Titanic one either. I will see what I can do though

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good Johnie , Only place l have been in Atlanta is the airport.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You're finally going!!!!!

You're going to have the best time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneybumble, post: 103565
    Sounds good Johnie , Only place l have been in Atlanta is the airport.
    :tongue: me too

Post Thanks / Like
    i been to Atlanta too, the coke museum is cool. Also went to 6 flags over georgia and to see a Braves game too.

there's also the CNN centre which we didn't get to because the kids were too young. For the same reason we only ate at sweet tomatoes lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast