Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions about american drinks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive always wondered what are the following things

root beer
    ice tea
    dr pepper
    kool aid

These are ones I see in films but dont think we have here. Are there any other classic drinks I should try whilst out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disney1sttimer, post: 105826
    Ive always wondered what are the following things

root beer
    ice tea
    dr pepper
    kool aid

These are ones I see in films but dont think we have here. Are there any other classic drinks I should try whilst out there?
    root beer tastes like germolene/ wintergreen chewing gum :eew:

ice tea is just like cold tea with ice in it- can be sweetened or unsweetened- not my cup of tea lol although some of the flavoured ones are nice.

dr pepper is a bit like cherry coke imo

and kool aid is a powder that you mix with water - you get it in all different flavours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you were able to make the comparisons, Julie!

By the way, Kool-Aid is a children's drink, although I'm sure some adults drink it as well. I didn't care for it as a child, and I don't like it any better as an adult!

It's available in presweetened or unsweetened (you add sugar) packets that are mixed with water (usually one or two quarts--not sure of the size these days). There are tons of flavours, none of which taste good to me. But if you're staying some place where it makes sense to make some, try it and decide for yourself!

Edited to add:

Kool-Aid is a grocery item, so it's available in stores such as Publix or the grocery section of Super Target or WalMart Supercenters.

Iced/cold tea is available in restaurants (some counter service, but not sure within WDW) and bottled in stores.

Root beer (also called sasparilla, if you dine at LTT) and Dr. Pepper are carbonated beverages available at soda fountains, in cans and bottles of varying sizes. It's hard to find root beer (there are many different brands) at WDW, although many of the TS restaurants seem to have it. Not sure about Dr. Pepper--it tastes like a nasty cough syrup I had to take as a child, so I never pay any attention to it. However, many people (including Leu's DD) enjoy it, so don't take my word for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    DR PEPPER IS NOTHING LIKE CHERRY COKE!!!!

Oops sorry having a Cherry Coke moment.

I love root beer - it's one of the things I look forward to on Florida trips - the stuff we have here just doesn't cut it. It is an acquired taste though I think. I was gutted when MacDonalds stopped selling it over here - only reason I'd go in there.

Try Mountain Dew too if you want a serious fix of additives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhhh, yeah! Mountain Dew can have you bouncing off the ceiling! I know many people who drink it for the mid-afternoon doldrums!

McDonald's in the US hasn't served root beer for many years. There may be the odd franchise location that sells it, but it isn't part of the official menu. Ditto for most of the other franchise quick service places. Although In-N-Out Burger does sell it. I usually have one every month during hot weather!

Good for me, actually. I don't drink it very often!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 105880
    DR PEPPER IS NOTHING LIKE CHERRY COKE!!!!

Oops sorry having a Cherry Coke moment.

i think it tastes a bit like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn

there's a shop in town down the road where the side entrance of woolies used to be, it's sells Japanese stuff if i remember correctly - they sell mountain dew!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! I'll pop in there next time I need to go

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 105885
    Although In-N-Out Burger does sell it.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you have to do that? You know I have to drive 200 miles for IN-N-OUT

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    we went to this chain when we were staying in the arm pit of Oklahoma!

http://www.awrestaurants.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast